SQL Server does not allow remote connections

3

3Dfelix

Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.

When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)

thanks

Willem

Just a wild guess, but are you accessing a MDF which is marked
read-only by any chance?

Guest

In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you should
see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make sure
it is checked.

That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the same
error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
Jav

cowznofsky

You know, at home I just applied xp sp2 to one of my computers, and now
I cannot connect to its instance of SQLServer from another computer.

I'll have to check this. I wonder if it got turned off by the sp2
installation.

3

3Dfelix

Hi Jav,

Thanks for your reply, but I haven't got SQL Management Studio, I'm using
SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS.

thanks

Joined
Mar 2, 2007
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I actually tried that and still didn't work. So tried this:
1)Go to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.
2)On the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration page, click Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections.
3)On the Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections page, expand Database Engine, click Remote Connections, click Local and remote connections, click the appropriate protocol to enable for your environment, and then click Apply.

It seems that this fixed my problem

"3Dfelix" wrote:

> Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
> in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
>
> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
> that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
> Server/Instance Specified)
>
> thanks

-----------------------------------
I Still have the same problem, I ran out of idea. Here is the Error that i get:
Code:
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at DatasettoSQL.Class1.ConnectToSQLServ() in c:\documents and settings\andrea\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\dataset to sql\dataset to sql\dataset to sql.cpp:line 25
   at Service.meowmeow() in c:\Documents and Settings\Andrea\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WS2\App_Code\Service.cs:line 20

Joined
Jul 11, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I did everything this page suggested and still got the same error. It turns out my connection string required the exact [server]\[instance] name for Data Source rather than 'localhost'.

Joined
Jan 3, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Yeah, that's wright, the first reason is a ConnectionString, you should check it first :)