stand alone web server in enterprise architecture

Mike

My company has a web project requiring employees to be able to login from
outside the intranet. They need to be able to login to a stand alone
webserver which is not part of our domain and which is isolated behind a
firewall, and then be able to query a sql server database server within the
domain containing sensitive information.

The problem is that my company has also made the suggestion that they would
like the employee to be authenticated to the domain's active directory (not a
problem) but that they want a token returned that can be used to access the
sql server database on a user level (not using a sql server account or
system/machine account). We've tried all the recommended archtecture
patterns in msdn and none of them seem to work.