Starting Python from the terminal with no welcome message

candide

Hi,

Does exist some option I could send to the python interpreter during an
interactive session in order to avoid the printing of the introductory
message just above the top prompt ?

In my case, the welcome message is the following :

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 31 2008, 17:28:52)

gdb has such an option (the so-called quiet option).

Compare this :

$ gdb
GNU gdb 6.8-debian
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i486-linux-gnu".
(gdb)

with that

$ gdb -q
(gdb)

Tim Chase

candide said:
Does exist some option I could send to the python interpreter during an
interactive session in order to avoid the printing of the introductory
message just above the top prompt ?

In my case, the welcome message is the following :

Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 31 2008, 17:28:52)

I asked a similar question a while back:

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/[email protected]/4611139.html

(strangely, I couldn't find that in the mail.python.org archives
via google)

If you don't want to monkey with the prompts (like I did in that
thread), you can just use

bash$ python -ic ""

to get a python shell without the banner.

That said, it _would_ be a nice addition to have a "-q"uiet
startup option that behaves like many other apps do. But with it
being just a few extra characters on the command-line, I don't
expect it will happen.

-tkc