'static' keyword in c vs c++?

vib.cpp

I begin to learn C++ when I do not know much about c, just as a lot of
people say that I needn't to learn c first and then stepped to learn c+
+.
But when I was learning the keyword 'static' in c++, it was said that
'static member' is belonging to a class not to an object, so it seems
that static member is a concept from the object-based concepts, but as
I know there is also a 'static' keyword even in c, so what's the
difference about the word in c and c++? why is it also necessary in c
when there is no class ,no objects?

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
I begin to learn C++ when I do not know much about c, just as a lot of
people say that I needn't to learn c first and then stepped to learn c+
+.
But when I was learning the keyword 'static' in c++, it was said that
'static member' is belonging to a class not to an object, so it seems
that static member is a concept from the object-based concepts, but as
I know there is also a 'static' keyword even in c, so what's the
difference about the word in c and c++? why is it also necessary in c
when there is no class ,no objects?

The 'static' keyword retains its C meaning in C++. In addition C++ uses that
keyword for static class members. For static data members the effect on lifetime
is just about the same as for ordinary static variables.

Your textbook should be explaining this.

Which textbook are you using?

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf