Datum: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 07:50:00 +0900
Von: John Slimick <[email protected]>
An: (e-mail address removed)
Betreff: Still trying to install ruby/tk
I finally gave up on trying to get the
tcltklib file to work. By the way, it is
in /ruby/ruby1.8.5/ext/tk directory now,
not the /etc/tcltk directory (which doesn't
seem to exist).

I finally found the ruby-tcltk rpm for
my linux system (fedora 5), but when I
try to install it, it says it can't find

libtk8.4.so

which exists in /usr/local/bin and in /usr/local.
Any ideas where it should be kept so it can be found
rpm?

thanks in advance
john slimick
(e-mail address removed)

Dear John,

I think this is a path setting issue.
Here's a discussion about installing TCl/Tk on Solaris, but I think
it will apply to Fedora as well:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...s2-installation-problem-on-solaris-10-494039/

Best regards,

Axel

John Slimick

To answer my own problem, I got ruby/tk working
this evening. To get this done:

(1) I installed ActiveTcl (which defaults into /opt)

(2) I went back to the /etc/tk directory, and changed
the hard-coded paths to ones where things might actually
be found

(3) I set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH per the README.ActiveTcl file

(4) I ran extconf.rb with the CONFIGURE arguments per
the README.tcltklib file

I have another installation to do tomorrow. I hope
this works a second time.

This was a difficult installation.

john slimick
(e-mail address removed)