Stop killing my HTML

Lloyd Sheen

It has been a while since I have had to use VS2003 to create asp.net apps.
I had forgotten what a terrible HTML editor it is. I have turned off all
reformating but cannot get it to stop changing things like the accept
attribute for a INPUT type=file.

Every time I make a change it take the double quotes away and I have to
recompile. Is there any way other than using notepad to make changes to
actually use VS?

It also does not respect my settings to open the page in HTML rather than
the designer. What a piece of crap, by far and away the worst editor of any
kind I have ever had to use. I spend more time fighting with the editor
than getting things done.

With the settings to not reformat one would think that simply opening the
page would not cause reformatting. But this is not the case. Open a page
and it opens as changed. I have seen many posts as to the problems MS has
in this editor but no solutions.

Lloyd Sheen

Karl

The next version will play nice. i found that if you have
MS_POSITIONING="GridLayout" in your body tag, vs.net is much worse..so take
it out :)

karl

Lloyd Sheen

I am using flow so no problem there. Since the next is long off it would
seem to me that MS if they have any reguard for those who use their tools
would provide a patch. I have been an MS developer for 12 years and this
IDE is the absolute worst product from them I have ever seen. And no that
the promised new products are a way off I think they should fix some of
these absolute failures.

I tried the express version of web development but it is so buggy that it is
impossible to use. Make a change and then all of a sudden a randomly named
..vb file will show errors that were only created in the MS mind.

Lloyd Sheen

Lloyd Sheen

And this one stupid problem about doubles the development time. I guess QA
at MS is NWTBF.

Lloyd Sheen

Karl

Just do what the rest of us do and never switch to design view :) there's
been a lot of complaining about this, and MS has acknowledged it, but there
will be no fix...

Karl

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Oh there will be a fix.
VS.NET 2005 will be much better behaved in this way.