Storing control definition in database...

Charlie@CBFC

Hi:

I need to share a control across virtual directories because it will be used
by multiple applications. I know I can create a custom control and share
out dll, but that won't do because it won't be setup at design time.
Instead it will be loaded at run-time and could be any one of many different
controls.

I'm thinking about storing control definition in database. If I do that,
how do retrieve control code, add it to a page, then run page? Does this
make sense?

Thanks,
Charlie

Thomas Hansen

Hi:

I need to share a control across virtual directories because it will be used
by multiple applications. I know I can create a custom control and share
out dll, but that won't do because it won't be setup at design time.
Instead it will be loaded at run-time and could be any one of many different
controls.

I'm thinking about storing control definition in database. If I do that,
how do retrieve control code, add it to a page, then run page? Does this
make sense?

Check out System.Reflection namespace and read up on "plugin
architecture" (google) and
possible also "MethodInfo", "PropertyInfo" and Type class...
:)

A bit difficult the first time, think "interface" if you want to
succeed and not only get a "manageble solution"...
;)

..t