String Pattern Matching: regex and Python regex documentation

Xah Lee

the Python regex documentation is available at:
http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html

Note that, i've just made the terms of use clear.

Also, can anyone answer what is the precise terms of license of the
official python documentation? The official python.org doc site is not
clear.

Note also, that the regex syntax used by Perl is the same as Python.
So, this section
http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/re-syntax.html
which contains clear explanation of regex syntax, will be of interest
to Perl programers as well.

If you are studying regex, you might also be interested in this lisp
doc:
http://xahlee.org/elisp/Regular-Expressions.html

Also note, that the regex syntax, is one of unix's $free$ fuckup that
has damaged a entire computer industry for decades. ($free$ as drugs
given to children)

For some examples of corrective steps, see:

• Scsh manual, Chapter 6: Pattern-matching strings with regular
expressions
http://www.scsh.net/docu/html/man-Z-H-7.html

• Mathematica Book, section 2.8.4 String Patterns
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-2.8.4

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Ilias Lazaridis

[followup to c.l.py]

Xah said:
the Python regex documentation is available at:
http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/module-re.html

Note that, i've just made the terms of use clear.

Also, can anyone answer what is the precise terms of license of the
official python documentation? The official python.org doc site is not
clear.

I would be interested in this information, too.
Note also, that the regex syntax used by Perl is the same as Python.
So, this section
http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python_re-write/lib/re-syntax.html
which contains clear explanation of regex syntax, will be of interest
to Perl programers as well.

Your tutorial has helped me to write my first regular expression:

http://dev.lazaridis.com/base/changeset/60

your notes about documentation are interesting, too:

http://xahlee.org/perl-python/re-write_notes.html

I have some notes, too:

http://case.lazaridis.com/wiki/Docu

-

I would like to read more on your website, but the usability is
terrible, mainly due to the missing navigation.

What about an exchange?

I assist you with the navigation. you will just need apache
server-side-include and one file "navigation.html", which will contail
all of the navigation, very simple.

And you make an real life example for a python regular expression use-case:

i want to scan a text for this line:

[[CustomAttributes(this=4,that=34,name='peter')]]

picking "this=4" ...

and add the attributes to an object.

object = addCustomAttributes(text)

(ok, the regex part would be enouth).