StronglyTyped DataSets in ASP.NET 2.0

S.Tedeschi

Hi all gurus.
I'm trying to switch to VS 2005, from VS 2003. I've an ASP.NET 1.1 app
heavily relying on StronglyTyped DataSets, with lots of FindByKey...,
dataSet.Tablename, and similar methods. Converting to ASP.NET 2.0
leaves dataSets' classes unconverted, as stated by M$; what's worse,
I'm not able to use converted dataSets, nor new ones, but just non-
typed dataSets declared directly in pages (or code-behind), and so I'm
not allowed to use a lot of methods and tables tied to dataSets. As a
cherry on the pie, DataSets are greyed in all-view Tools (and not
visible without all-view).
Is it a standard behaviour or there's something messed up in my VS
2005?
AFAIK, M$ declares that previous data objects are still at the basis
of the new data model, and in my situation?

S.Tedeschi

Hi all gurus.
I'm trying to switch to VS 2005, from VS 2003. I've an ASP.NET 1.1 app
heavily relying on StronglyTyped DataSets, with lots of FindByKey...,dataSet.Tablename, and similar methods. Converting to ASP.NET 2.0
leaves dataSets' classes unconverted, as stated by M$; what's worse,
I'm not able to use converted dataSets, nor new ones, but just non-
typed dataSets declared directly in pages (or code-behind), and so I'm
not allowed to use a lot of methods and tables tied to dataSets. As a
cherry on the pie, DataSets are greyed in all-view Tools (and not
visible without all-view).
Is it a standard behaviour or there's something messed up in my VS
2005?
AFAIK, M$ declares that previous data objects are still at the basis
of the new data model, and in my situation?

A little sharpening: actually, a can drop a dataSet into "Component
Designer", but I can't find any DataSet class. I guess VS2005 is no
more able to auto-generate classes from a DataSet, a normal operation
for VS2003.
Is still DataSet model a good way for ops or should I swith to
TableAdapers-only environment?

Peter Bradley

Ysgrifennodd S.Tedeschi:
Hi all gurus.
I'm trying to switch to VS 2005, from VS 2003. I've an ASP.NET 1.1 app
heavily relying on StronglyTyped DataSets, with lots of FindByKey...,
dataSet.Tablename, and similar methods. Converting to ASP.NET 2.0
leaves dataSets' classes unconverted, as stated by M$; what's worse,
I'm not able to use converted dataSets, nor new ones, but just non-
typed dataSets declared directly in pages (or code-behind), and so I'm
not allowed to use a lot of methods and tables tied to dataSets. As a
cherry on the pie, DataSets are greyed in all-view Tools (and not
visible without all-view).
Is it a standard behaviour or there's something messed up in my VS
2005?
AFAIK, M$ declares that previous data objects are still at the basis
of the new data model, and in my situation?

Strongly typed DataSets are much changed - and, in my opinion, much
improved - in .NET 2.0. I've never tried to convert, so it may be that
you have to do so by hand. If you do, it might be a nuisance, but it
shouldn't take long and will, at least, get you up to speed on .NET 2.0
DataSets.

If it would help, I have some documentation I did for our developers at
work along with a sample application, which I'd be happy to let you
have. Just contact me off-list at
p[dot]bradley[at]dsl[dot]pipex[dot]com, and I'll send it to you.

Cheers

Peter