sub-novice, wants to design game

mitcheroo

I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.

Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...

Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
at that.

So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

Your advice welcome. I intend to carry this through. Greatly
motivated.

VisionSet

mitcheroo said:
I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding. .....
Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
at that.

So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

Since this is a Java newsgroup, you need to just learn Java.
It is eminently suitable to your goal, in as far as you have elaborated.
Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

Get up to speed with route through basic programming from a Java
perspective.
Do not ignore references to Object Oriented approach.
Get a decent lower level book, there are lots, someone will recommend. There
is lots of dross too though!
Do relevent sun tutorials http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
Read Bruce Eckels 'Thinking in Java' When your up to it - free online
Buy Joshua Blochs 'Effective Java' and adhere to all points
Study distributed system concepts and implement small solutions to
concurrency and networking issues in Java.
Above all concentrate on Object Oriented principles, preferably via a taught
class.

That last comment is most important.

You have a tough task ahead.

Better to set your goals lower initially though, if you are not patient,
your system will be rubbish.

zero

I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.

Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...

Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
at that.

So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

Your advice welcome. I intend to carry this through. Greatly
motivated.

Well this is a Java group, so you'll see a lot of people telling you to
use Java. And indeed, java is an option, but you'll need to learn *a
lot* before you can take on this kind of project. You'd probably need a
Swing application with network support for the client, as well as a
server that stores information about each player.

An easier approach might be PHP, but then you'll have to dumb down the
graphics. There are several very good PHP-based sites out there that
give turn-based games (chess, scrabble, go, ...) - but of course those
graphics are all static.

C++ is not something I'd pick for this, mainly because you'll need a lot
of libraries that simply are not part of standard C++. Meaning you'd
first have to learn C++, then find (or create!) the appropriate
libraries, and use them correctly.

For someone experienced in programming a project like this would take
some time. For someone without any experience at all, it would take a
very long time. You could see this as a long term project, and in the
mean time tackle some smaller projects, which will help you learn and get
closer to your ultimate goal.

Alun Harford

mitcheroo said:
I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.

Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...

Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
at that.

So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?

Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?

First, you'll need to learn how to program.
Then, you'll need to learn the basics of networking.
Then you need to learn Java (you could use another language but you asked in
a Java group).

Then you'll need to actually write it.
Before you start, you should realise that this will probably consume a large
part of your life for the next two years or so. Having said that, have fun
with it! (and good luck!)

Alun Harford

David Segall

mitcheroo said:
I want to design an online multiplayer strategy game (not massively
multiplayer), but I know next to nothing about programming or coding.

Graphics requirements will be more-or-less minimal. Game will be a
1-turn-per-day to 4-turns-per-day. (Don't laugh -- based on an old
1990's BBS dood that was very popular.) No 3D, just 2D with a static
zoomable map or maps, menus, pop-up menus or pop-up insets/images,
icons, symbols, buttons, battle algorithms...

Available hardware: a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook, and a very nice one
at that.

So -- what do I need to learn first? C++? Java? PHP?
None of the above. Microsoft have a suite of products aimed at
encouraging you to start programming
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/>. If the players are going
to use their own PC and play your game on a central server computer by
using a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc) choose Visual
Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Sun have a similar product called
Java Studio Creator
<http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/ea/jsc2/downloads/index.html>.

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition includes Visual Basic (the easiest
way to get started) and Visual J++ ( if you want to continue with
Java). Either of these will require that you develop your own method
of communicating with the other players.
Learn what?, then what, then what, then what?
Before you start you need to ensure that you can provide a server
computer. The computer needs to be accessed by a URL that you supply
and it needs to have the software required by the tool you choose on
it. If you choose one of the above development tools you can follow
their tutorials to get started. Then you can post your questions to
the appropriate news group - it is unlikely to be this one. :)

Oliver Wong

David Segall said:
None of the above. Microsoft have a suite of products aimed at
encouraging you to start programming
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/>. If the players are going
to use their own PC and play your game on a central server computer by
using a browser (Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera etc) choose Visual
Web Developer 2005 Express Edition. Sun have a similar product called
Java Studio Creator
<http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/javatools/jscreator/ea/jsc2/downloads/index.html>.

Visual Studio 2005 Express Edition includes Visual Basic (the easiest
way to get started) and Visual J++ ( if you want to continue with
Java). Either of these will require that you develop your own method
of communicating with the other players.

Actually, if it's based on BBS doors, I'd write it in PHP (as opposed to
C++ or Java), as you avoid learning anything about sockets or network
programming, and just let your webserver deal with that. You only have to
write the game logic (and presentation). Alternatively, you could write it
in JSP or ASP.NET.

Visual Studio, mentioned above, can be used to develop ASP.NET web
applications.
Before you start you need to ensure that you can provide a server
computer. The computer needs to be accessed by a URL that you supply
and it needs to have the software required by the tool you choose on
it.

While developping, you could run the server and the client on your own
computer. If it's written in PHP and you're willing to make it open source,
you can host your server on Sourceforge for free (they provide webspace, PHP
processing and a database for open source projects). Otherwise you'll either
want to buy a computer to act as a dedicated server or pay a hosting company
to host your game for you.
If you choose one of the above development tools you can follow
their tutorials to get started. Then you can post your questions to
the appropriate news group - it is unlikely to be this one. :)

If, for some reason, you want to stick with this newsgroup, you'll have
to use JSP or Java, as those are the languages which are "on topic" here.

- Oliver