Sudden Formmail failure - help, outside email problem

Larry Webb

This problem seemed to happen right after the host for my reseller
account upgraded my server. I'm using the latest version of Matt's
Formmail. Customers forms with their email hosted by me on my server
work fine but several customers with their script's recipient pointing
to an email address outside my server fail and I, being the script admin
receive the email below. My host says it's not their fault, does anyone
have any ideas what the problem may be.

Thanks
Larry

Subject:
Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender
From:
Mail Delivery System <[email protected]>
Date:
Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:09:43 -0400
To:
(e-mail address removed)
0201
(e-mail address removed)
Auto-Submitted:
auto-generated

(e-mail address removed)
unrouteable mail domain "twcny.rr.com"

To: (e-mail address removed)
From: (e-mail address removed) (Larry Webb)
Subject: Feed Back From Lorenzo Driving Web Site
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 12:09:43 -0400

Below is the result of your feedback form. It was submitted by
Larry Webb ([email protected]) on Saturday, September 4, 2004 at 12:09:43

realname: Larry Webb

email: (e-mail address removed)

submit: Submit

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Larry Webb said:
This problem seemed to happen right after the host for my reseller
account upgraded my server. I'm using the latest version of Matt's
Formmail. Customers forms with their email hosted by me on my server
work fine but several customers with their script's recipient pointing
to an email address outside my server fail

That's done for security reasons. Most likely your host upgraded to a
newer/better version of FormMail.

--Tina

Neal

This problem seemed to happen right after the host for my reseller
account upgraded my server. I'm using the latest version of Matt's
Formmail.

Hmm. That is a security risk. I'd recommend looking for NMS Formmail as a
replacement. Much better script.

Larry Webb

Tina said:
That's done for security reasons. Most likely your host upgraded to a
newer/better version of FormMail.

--Tina
Tina:

I understand that it may be for security reasons but does anyone have
any idea how I can get a form to send the results to an outside email. I
tried Neal's idea of using NMS FormMail 3.14c1 but I still have the same
problem.

Thanks for your time
Larry

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Larry Webb said:
Tina:

I understand that it may be for security reasons but does anyone have
any idea how I can get a form to send the results to an outside email. I
tried Neal's idea of using NMS FormMail 3.14c1 but I still have the same
problem.

Setup an email forward for (e-mail address removed) to forward to
(e-mail address removed) - use the (e-mail address removed) in the
formmailer code.

--Tina

Larry Webb

Tina said:
Setup an email forward for (e-mail address removed) to forward to
(e-mail address removed) - use the (e-mail address removed) in the
formmailer code.

--Tina

That was one of the first things I tried and it does send the email to
the address on my server (I can see it sitting there with the eremove
program) but the email is not fowarded and I still get the error message
below being mail_admin.

Larry Webb said:
That was one of the first things I tried and it does send the email to
the address on my server (I can see it sitting there with the eremove
program) but the email is not fowarded and I still get the error message
below being mail_admin.

Then the forward is not setup correctly, most likely. Ask your host to take
a look at it.

--Tina

Hywel

Larry Webb said:
That was one of the first things I tried and it does send the email to
the address on my server (I can see it sitting there with the eremove
program) but the email is not fowarded and I still get the error message
below being mail_admin.

(e-mail address removed)
unrouteable mail domain "twcny.rr.com"

Can you log in to a shell on your server and ping that address? I have
no idea how that may help, but it's something that I'd try anyway.

Larry Webb

Tina said:
Then the forward is not setup correctly, most likely. Ask your host to take
a look at it.

--Tina

As soon as I change the forward address to an email address hosted on my
server, it works fine.

Bottom line, every formmail script I've tried will not send a form
result to an email address outside my server. Weather I do it direct or
with the foward trick. I've spent 2 days trying to figure out if Road
Runner and Verizon have decided not to accept emails generated by
formail or if my server is blocking these. I have 7 companies that are
going to be very PO'ed at me when they start work tomorrow.

I appreciate your time and input Tina.

Larry

Neal

That was one of the first things I tried and it does send the email to
the address on my server (I can see it sitting there with the eremove
program) but the email is not fowarded and I still get the error message
below being mail_admin.

(e-mail address removed)
unrouteable mail domain "twcny.rr.com"

Just to be sure - have you set @allow_mail_to and @recipients and
%recipient_alias appropriately? (assuming NMS, and assuming my version is
like yours) Triple-check those to be sure the recipient email addresses
are allowed.

Try setting up a regular forwarding address and send an email to it from
some random account (not connected to the host's sendmail). See what
happens. If it fails, the problem is for sure with the host.

If it works that way, try changing the name of the script. It's a shot in
the dark for sure.

I mean, the script clearly works with local email addresses. So either
something in the script is screwing up with off-domain addresses, or the
host is either not forwarding properly or blocking mail from its sendmail
to off-domain addresses.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

Larry Webb said:
As soon as I change the forward address to an email address hosted on my
server, it works fine.

Bottom line, every formmail script I've tried will not send a form
result to an email address outside my server. Weather I do it direct or
with the foward trick. I've spent 2 days trying to figure out if Road
Runner and Verizon have decided not to accept emails generated by
formail or if my server is blocking these. I have 7 companies that are
going to be very PO'ed at me when they start work tomorrow.

I appreciate your time and input Tina.

Larry

Why not contact your host for help? It seems the logical choice. We have
patched version of Formmail installed for every one of our customers...and
the forward trick always works. Never heard of verizon or rr blocking
those.

--Tina