summary of available Ruby channels (IRC)

Simon Strandgaard

The main channel:

#ruby-lang

Besides it there exists other channels:

#debian-ruby
#iowa
#RPA
#ruby-de
#ruby-es
#ruby-it
#ruby-vikings
#ruby:*.jp
#rubyforge
#rubymine
#rubyonrails

James Britt

Simon said:
The main channel:

#ruby-lang

Besides it there exists other channels:

Any pointers to "IRC for the Slow-Witted", and IRC etiquette?

Thanks,

James

David Ross

James said:
Any pointers to "IRC for the Slow-Witted", and IRC etiquette?

Thanks,

James
Do you mean for IRC clients? What to watch out for?

These channels are on Freenode, the PDPC network. Freenode was created
for software projects so they could callaborate with the users and
developers. You can register a nick or channel through channel services.
Theres great Network Operators who are all friendly in
#[email protected] They are very helpful.

Links to read:
http://freenode.net/philosophy.shtml
http://freenode.net/freenode_and_irc.shtml
http://freenode.net/catalysts.shtml
http://freenode.net/channel_guidelines.shtml

and of course the Freenode.net homepage.

I wouldn't use mIRC, since its complete junk in software. There are
better IRC clients out there if you are on windows. XChat is a popular
irc client. If you wish to use the better clients like irssi, epic, or
ircII, you need to install cygwin first. Then install from the selection
screen.

Now if you are on unix, there is a whole selection to choose from by
default. Personally I sometimes use telnet. IRC has easy syntax to
remember. If I am on my servers, I will use irssi or epic, with screen
to keep my session always open.

IRC is all about collaborating and talking. Make sure you keep a time
limit on yourself or you will say, "omg, what time it is! wtf I spent
all day on irc!" Limit yourself and go code ot like lyponov(Alex) I will
have to consistantly yell untill he goes to code!

to connect in any client to a freenode server, on the command line type
"/connect irc.freenode.net"
to join any of the channels listed, use the join command

ex. "/join #rubymine"
or
ex. "/join #rpa"

you get the point ;)

David Ross

Ollivier Robert

Besides it there exists other channels:

#debian-ruby
#iowa
#RPA
#ruby-de
#ruby-es
#ruby-it

There used to be a "ruby-fr" for French speaking people but I'm not sure
whether it is still used or not.