support of C99 VLA in compilers

Ben Hinkle

I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of C99 support in today's
compilers. In particular I'm interested in VLA support. Any links or info
about the status? I read that GCC had experimental VLA support since before
C99 and that it still isn't exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

thanks,
-Ben

P.J. Plauger

I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of C99 support in today's
compilers. In particular I'm interested in VLA support. Any links or info
about the status? I read that GCC had experimental VLA support since before
C99 and that it still isn't exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

Comeau C/C++ has full C99 support, including VLAs. So does
the latest compiler from Sun, which is now free. Otherwise,
any compiler that uses the EDG front end (such as Comeau)
should support VLAs.

P.J. Plauger
Dinkumware, Ltd.
http://www.dinkumware.com

Chuck F.

Ben said:

I checked the FAQ but didn't see any mention of C99 support in
today's compilers. In particular I'm interested in VLA support.
Any links or info about the status? I read that GCC had
experimental VLA support since before C99 and that it still isn't
exactly the same as the C99 VLA.

Hunt down the gnu home page for gcc (unsure about URL). They
maintain a page specifying the degree of C99 compliance achieved,
with details.

Erik de Castro Lopo

Keith said:
Googling gcc c99 status yields <http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html>.

In case its not on there I can confirm that GCC has supported
VLAS since before gcc-2.95.

Erik
Erik de Castro Lopo
"Allaah has forbidden the believers to take the kaafireen
(disbelievers) as friends, and He has issued a stern warning
against doing that." --
http://islamqa.com/index.php?ln=eng&ds=qa&lv=browse&QR=59879&dgn=4

Flash Gordon

Erik said:
In case its not on there I can confirm that GCC has supported
VLAS since before gcc-2.95.

However that support does not conform to the C99 standard and GNU have
never claimed that it conformed to the C99 standard.

Jordan Abel

However that support does not conform to the C99 standard and GNU have
never claimed that it conformed to the C99 standard.

In the implementation table it's listed as "broken" - out of curiosity,
how does the gcc implementation differ from that in the c99 standard?