supported versions policy?

Gary Wilson

Does Python have a formal policy on the support lifetime (bug fixes,
security fixes, etc.) for major and minor versions? I did a bit of
searching on the Python web site and this group, but didn't find
anything. If there is a policy posted somewhere (and I just didn't
dig deep enough), would someone please point me in the right
direction. If there is no posted policy, would someone be kind enough
to describe the practiced policy here.

I'm looking for is something like this:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/release-process/#supported-versions

Thanks,
Gary

Terry Reedy

Gary said:
Does Python have a formal policy on the support lifetime (bug fixes,
security fixes, etc.) for major and minor versions? I did a bit of
searching on the Python web site and this group, but didn't find
anything. If there is a policy posted somewhere (and I just didn't
dig deep enough), would someone please point me in the right
direction. If there is no posted policy, would someone be kind enough
to describe the practiced policy here.

Defining Pyx.y.z as Pymajor.minor.bugfix, the last normal bugfix comes
out about the same time as the next minor. True security fixes (very
rare) come out for a couple of years thereafter. (Exception, 3.0 support
ended with 3.0.1 -- it should be replaced with 3.1.) Currently Py2 and
Py3 are running in parallel. The future 2.7.z's will probably be the end
of the Py2 series. Everything is contingent on voluteer time to do the
above.

tjr