Symbol Table and References

dh

Hello,
I am trying to understand symbol tables and references. Maybe someone
can give me a hint.
Assume we are loking at symbol table st.
0) What is the internal format of a symbol table?
1) What is actually stored at e.g. @st? The data of @a or a pointer to
this data?
2) What is returned by (1,2,3), the data itself or a pointer to this data?
3) Is it correct, that a reference is simply a pointer?
4) What is *st exactly, a pointer to the start of the symbol table?
5) What is the difference between *st and /*st?
6) What exactly is a file handle?

Thank you, Daniel

Brad Baxter

dh said:
Hello,
I am trying to understand symbol tables and references. Maybe someone
can give me a hint.
Assume we are loking at symbol table st.
0) What is the internal format of a symbol table?
1) What is actually stored at e.g. @st? The data of @a or a pointer to
this data?
2) What is returned by (1,2,3), the data itself or a pointer to this data?
3) Is it correct, that a reference is simply a pointer?
4) What is *st exactly, a pointer to the start of the symbol table?
5) What is the difference between *st and /*st?
6) What exactly is a file handle?

Thank you, Daniel

Have you read

perldoc perlreftut
perldoc perlref
perldoc perldata

anno4000

Ferry Bolhar said:

[Excellent summary of stashes and typeglobs snipped]

That much research ought to be conserved somewhere better than in a
random Usenet posting. If you were to rewrite it as a tutorial in
pod format, I bet p5p would take it aboard as perlglobtut or something.

Anno

Sherm Pendley

Ferry Bolhar said:
Anno:

First, many thanks - glad to read this.

Well, I had this idea already some time ago and wrote a litte document
for our Perl people here - but in German. I'd have to complete it and to
translate it into English and into pod, and I'm afraid this is a relatively
time-consuming task...

You could post the original German-language POD to p5p, and ask for help
with the translation.

sherm--