Syntax Checker that's better than the normal syntax checker

Jacob Grover

I've been using the stupid built in syntax checker, it's been making
some mistakes is there any better syntax checker. Unrealistically, a
standalone application were you paste in your code and it checks it. But
anything other than the built in syntax checker will do.

Ben Bleything

I've been using the stupid built in syntax checker, it's been making
some mistakes is there any better syntax checker. Unrealistically, a
standalone application were you paste in your code and it checks it. But
anything other than the built in syntax checker will do.

Uh... what?

If the built-in syntax checker isn't catching an error... it's not an
error. The "built-in syntax checker" is the interpreter itself.

Unless you're talking about an IDE or something, in which case you
should probably tell us what you mean...

Ben

Joel VanderWerf

Ben said:
Uh... what?

If the built-in syntax checker isn't catching an error... it's not an
error. The "built-in syntax checker" is the interpreter itself.

Unless you're talking about an IDE or something, in which case you
should probably tell us what you mean...

Ben

Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

Ben Bleything

Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

Ah, that's a good point. And further perhaps he means "gives better
error messages", since we've probably all felt the pain of ruby -c
telling us that there's a syntax error on the last (blank) line of the
file.

Ben

Dave Bass

Maybe he's referring to ruby -c ?

ruby -cw surely!

Ruby's error messages are horribly obscure compared with Perl's, which
are really quite friendly. A typical one would be something like "(Blah
blah blah) error. Maybe an unterminated string starting on line 42?" --
which it usually is. Or "Class Thing not found. Maybe you forgot to
include Thing.pm?" -- which is usually the case.

Dave

Jacob Grover

Dave said:
ruby -cw surely!

Ruby's error messages are horribly obscure compared with Perl's, which
are really quite friendly. A typical one would be something like "(Blah
blah blah) error. Maybe an unterminated string starting on line 42?" --
which it usually is. Or "Class Thing not found. Maybe you forgot to
include Thing.pm?" -- which is usually the case.

Dave
Cool, now I can use it because I would look for an endless string or too
little or too many ends and so on.