Syntax error in ".py" file and globals variable values not available.

Alexis Boutillier

Hi,

I have a strange behaviour of python with pdb and import statement.
Here is the example code :

file my1.py:
import my2

file my2.py:
a=5
toto

I intentionnaly put a syntax error in file my2.py.

If I run "python -i my2.py" and run pdb I got :
NameError: name 'toto' is not defined5

If I run "python -i my1.py" and run pdb I got :
NameError: name 'toto' is not definedNone

Why can't I get access to variable a in pdb when the process generating
the error came from an import statement ?

With python 2.3.5, it works fine and in the two cases I get the correct
value of 5 for variable "a".
with python 2.43,2.5.1,2.5.2, it doesn't work and I get "None" value for
variable a.

Somebody can explain me this behaviour ?

Thanks.
--
Boutillier Alexis
Methodology engineer