HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 14:45:03 GMT
Connection: close

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.01//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/str
ict.dtd">
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Bad Request</TITLE>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" Content="text/html;
charset=us-ascii"></HEAD>
<BODY><h2>Bad Request - Invalid Verb</h2>
</BODY></HTML>

Connection to host lost.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC>
=========================================end error

As well - here is something else... that might bring some light to my setup
issue.
there is an htm located here:
C:\Microsoft Press\ASP.NET 2.0 Step by
Step\VB\Chapter02\content\helloworld.htm
opening that up in Internet explorer works fine.

Going here:
http://localhost/aspnet2sbs/VB/Chapter02/content/helloworld.htm

just opens up a blank page.

Within IIS I see an aspnet2sbs alias
Clicking on "Default Settings"...
the physical path is set to: C:\Microsoft Press\ASP.NET 2.0 Step by Step
but when I click "test settings",
The Authentication passes - Pass-through authentication
(defaultapppool:networkservice)

but Authorization fails:
Authorization - Cannot verify access to path ( c:\microsoft press\asp.net
2.0 step by step

The path is there - when I click on browse and select it - it is there.

I am logged in as administrator....

If anyone has any suggestions...im all ears.

Thanks,

Miro

Andrew Morton

Miro said:
I am very new to asp.net and going thru a book "Microsoft asp.net 2.0
step by step by George Shepherd"
Its the 2005 edition, but im using vs2008 on Vista ( I am logged in as
administrator )

at one of the first pages ( right in the begining ) it tells me to
open up the visual studio command prompt ( which I do ), and type
this in c:\ TELNET localhost 80

this clears the blank screen and I am assuming i should get another
c:\ to type in the rest.

What could be setup wrong with the IIS ?

Nothing is wrong. You are communicating directly with the web server (IIS),
which expects to communicate using http.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Http

Andrew

Miro

Thanks andrew...
I have found the second problems solution...

When the install adds itself to IIS as an alias, it disables the Anonymous
Authentication by default to "Disabled".

I found this out by creating a new alias manually and then to compare the
settings.

As for the issue...here is the instructions the book reads:

1. Open the visual studio command prompt to connect to your pc
2. At the prompt type the folloing:
c:\>TELNET localhost 80
3. After the TELNET client connects, type the following GET command
(assuming you have a virtual directory named aspnet2sbs on you machine,
containing a file named HelloWorld.HTM in the /Chapter02/content
subdirectory):

c:/> GET /aspnet2sbs/Chapter02/content/helloworld.htm

4. You should see the file's contents returned to teh command line.

I cannot get past step 3 / or technically 2 if i should see a prompt after
step 2
I know the file exists because if i go to
http://localhost/aspnet2sbs/Chapter02/content/helloworld.htm
IE pulls up the helloworld fine.

Thanks,

Miro

Andrew Morton

You may have to type without seeing what you are typing, as IIS won't be
echoing the characters back to you, and I don't think Windows's telnet
client does local echo.

I suggest copy-and-paste into the telnet client to avoid frustrating typos
that you can't see.

Andrew

Miro

Thanks andrew - the cust and paste worked.

To get localecho workign i had to do this:

c:\ Telnet
then type in
set localecho
then type in
o localhost 80

then paste my "get" and it pulled the htm

otherwise without local ehco the copy past on the termian worked.

Thank you for your help.

Miro