Text size on webpages

Michael Landberg

Hi

this may be a stupid question, but anyway!

I have created a website with a few pages. I have noticed that when I
change the IE browser text size ( through the view menu -> text size)
to largest everything is blown up very large. Is there a way to change
the html code so that the text won't be blown up to much? without
changing the font in the html to a very small size?

Regards

Michael Winter

I have noticed that when I change the IE browser text size ( through
the view menu -> text size) to largest everything is blown up very
large.

I don't quite see what that has to do with scripting, but it sounds like
you're using em units to size text. Whilst that should be fine, IE
manages to make a mess of it. Use percentages instead.

If that doesn't help, post a link.

[snip]

Mike

Michael Landberg

Hi

Thank you for responding. What I also meant was that when I open some
webpages ( e.g. www.leaseplan.com or www.cnn.com etc.) and set the text
size to largest, i see that the web page text does not change at all.
How can I do the same for my website? What code/font or whatever must I
use to accomplish that?

Regards

Michael Winter

What I also meant was that when I open some webpages [...] and set
the text size to largest, i see that the web page text does not
change at all.
How can I do the same for my website?

You shouldn't even try. It's bad for your users. Many will have bad
eyesight, and ten pixel-high fonts will hinder their ability to use your
site even more.

If you want to do this because non-standard font sizes break your
design, then fix it. Read up on producing fluid layouts.
What code/font or whatever must I use to accomplish that?

What you're observing is a bug in IE. Nothing more. Decent browsers will
never allow a site to prevent text resizing, and will allow users to
/force/ a minimum.

Mike

McKirahan

Michael Landberg said:
Hi

Thank you for responding. What I also meant was that when I open some
webpages ( e.g. www.leaseplan.com or www.cnn.com etc.) and set the text
size to largest, i see that the web page text does not change at all.
How can I do the same for my website? What code/font or whatever must I
use to accomplish that?

Regards

CSS. For example:

<head>
<title>CSS.htm</title>
body { font-family:Arial,Helvetica; font-size:12pt }
td { font-family:Verdana,Helvetica; font-size:10pt }
th { font-family:Verdana,Helvetica; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold }
</head>
Hello World!

Randy Webb

McKirahan said:
CSS. For example:

And even the bug ridden IE6 allows users to veto that. Tools>Internet
Options>Accessibility>Ignore font sizes/syles specified in webpages.

<snip>