textarea problem

yawnmoth

say i have a form where, if a user clicks in it, all the text is
highlighted, and where, if a user clicks on a button outside of the
form, a certain text string is inserted where the cursor in the
textarea is. why is it, then, that when i, immediatly after loading
the page, click in the textarea, highlighting the text, click again in
the middle of the text (effectively unhighlighting everything, as
well), and then click on the button to insert to the text, the text
string that is to be inserted appears outside of the form?

here's a working demonstration:

http://www.geocities.com/terra1024/error-forms.html

if you click right before the first and only capatilized T twice, and
then click on the ### link underneath the text area, ### is not
inserted into the form, as i would like, but is rather inserted
outside of the form.

if i comment out the function that is responsible for the
highlighting, it works just fine, although i can't see, for the life
of me, what in the highlighting function is causing this...

any help would be appreciated - thanks! :)