Thanks for Math Advice

Bibby

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all of your advice: it's helped me quite a bit.
I'll probably get started by jumping right in, and at the same time, I'll
start picking away at some algebra and so on.

Another question if you will: what's the most efficient language to get
started on considering being hired relatively soon. For example, I'm
thinking C might not be the best choice b/c it would take too long to attain
an hireable level compared to all of the seasoned C veterans out there.
Likely candidates seem to be VB.Net, C++, C#, Java. I am also keeping the
internet in mind (scripting etc...).

Thanks again,

PA

Casper B

Then the .NET languages are probably what to aim for. The IDE support
and debugging possebility coupled with the relatively new and polished
library, makes it the obvious newbie choice.

Java's library is somewhat bloated and deprecated, making it hard to
grasp for a newcomer (although there's talk of an upcoming clean version).

C/C++ is probably too advanced to aim for as you say, given that lack of
typesafety, need to manage the heap yourself and countless other issues.

However, it is entirely possible that others are of a different opinion.
/Casper

Joe Wright

Bibby said:
Hey guys, thanks a lot for all of your advice: it's helped me quite a bit.
I'll probably get started by jumping right in, and at the same time, I'll
start picking away at some algebra and so on.

Another question if you will: what's the most efficient language to get
started on considering being hired relatively soon. For example, I'm
thinking C might not be the best choice b/c it would take too long to attain
an hireable level compared to all of the seasoned C veterans out there.
Likely candidates seem to be VB.Net, C++, C#, Java. I am also keeping the
internet in mind (scripting etc...).

Thanks again,

PA

Your guess is as good as any of ours. Don't guess. It is Boss (who might
hire you) with the needs and possible programming language requirements.
Try to figure out who Boss might be and ask her.

Well meaning programmers can give you a snapshot of their experience and
what they may be doing now. But we can't help you get hired. My current
gig is Visual FoxPro, Clipper and a little C because that's what Boss
wants. When Boss wants Java or C++, I'll be there.

Oliver Wong

Casper B said:
Java's library is somewhat bloated and deprecated, making it hard to grasp
for a newcomer (although there's talk of an upcoming clean version).

Where's this talk? I was under the impression that people were generally
pleased with the Java library and there was no effort to "clean it up".

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Bibby said:
Another question if you will: what's the most efficient language to get
started on considering being hired relatively soon. For example, I'm
thinking C might not be the best choice b/c it would take too long to
attain an hireable level compared to all of the seasoned C veterans out
there. Likely candidates seem to be VB.Net, C++, C#, Java. I am also
keeping the internet in mind (scripting etc...).

PHP, MySQL, HTMl.

If you get a job writing Java (or any other programming language), and
you don't know what you're doing, it's going to show right away and you're
going to get fired.

If you get a job writing PHP/MySQL/HTML and you don't know what you're
doing, no one will notice until 2 or 3 years later when they try to upgade
or change something.

- Oliver