"the c prog. lang." prob with win. xp

Matt Suther

Does it matter if I use "The C Programming Language" with Windows XP?
I've gotten some of the scripts from it to work, but some don't. Could
this be an issue with Windows? Or an issue with the compiler? And I've
already made sure I didn't mistake parts of the coding. So does anyone
know? Thanks.

Jens.Toerring

Matt Suther said:
Does it matter if I use "The C Programming Language" with Windows XP?
I've gotten some of the scripts from it to work, but some don't. Could
this be an issue with Windows? Or an issue with the compiler? And I've
already made sure I didn't mistake parts of the coding. So does anyone
know? Thanks.

If you use a standard compliant C compiler(make sure you don't invoke
a compiler that can compile both C and C++ in C++ mode) and you stay
away from chapter 8 (which shows how a few things can be done in UNIX)
you should be just fine. If your problems persist post the code here
(but make sure it's exactly the same you passed to the compiler) with
an explanation of what you think does not work. Also try to get your
compiler to spit out as many warnings as possible and try to understand
what they mean (always start with the first one!).

Regards, Jens

Dan Pop

In said:
Does it matter if I use "The C Programming Language" with Windows XP?
Nope.

I've gotten some of the scripts from it to work, but some don't. Could
^^^^^^^
They're called programs in the usual C terminology.
this be an issue with Windows? Or an issue with the compiler? And I've
already made sure I didn't mistake parts of the coding. So does anyone
know? Thanks.

Most likely, it's an issue with your understanding of the environment and
the tools.

Post the simplest program that doesn't work as expected and describe its
actual behaviour and what you actually expected from it. To minimise
your surprises, use the compiler in command line mode (no IDE nonsense)
and run the resulting executable file in a console window, too.

Dan