the mystery of a default button

Guest

This is quite serious - for a beginner...
No property setting for a default button? I just want a button on a search
page to automatically be pressed when I hit the return/enter key.

Somehow I did it with one of my 2 buttons, (but I don't know how)
one of the buttons (cmdClear) decided on its own to be the default button -
instead of the cmdSearchMember button - so much so that even after searching
and finding 2 other solutions:
1) 'RegisterHiddenField("__EVENTTARGET", "cmdSearchMember")
2) Javascript -that ends up with:
SetDefaultButton(Me.txtNAME_ID, cmdSearchMember) in the load event of
the form.

.... the other button (cmdClear) continues to be selected and is
automatically pushed when I hit the enter (return) key.

Please help, I know the solution isn't to grab my code from the
cmdSearchMember button and add it to the cmdClear button - although that is
becoming quite tempting.

Eliyahu Goldin

If you are in 2.0, you do have property DefaultButton.

In 1.1 the first button on the form is always the default one.

Eliyahu

Guest

Hi Jonefer,

You do not have to switch the code in your buttons. In ASP.NET 1.1, you may
still create a webpage with more than one section in it; each section can
have the equivalent of a "default" by adding a few lines of JavaScript to
attach the event OnKeyPress of each textbox to trigger a different button's
Click event. For a demo take a look at this sample:
http://www.societopia.net/samples/ASPPage_Buttons.aspx