The request failed with HTTP status 401: Access Denied

jdhavo

I have a webservice that allows all users to access it but am receiving
an access denied message.
IIS virtual directory for application is set to allow annonymous access
with windows authentication.
The annonymous user id is an active directory account
USPHC\COR089SAPDM.
I've entered the password in the password field and unchecked the allow
windows to control password checkbox.

When I change the user in the virtual directory to IUSR_XXXXXXXX, the
webservice works fine.
Here is the web.config for the webservice section.
<location path="WebService/User/pdmUsersV1R0.asmx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>
The everyone group is authorized for nt security to read/execute on the
folder.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Clem

Pandurang Nayak

Anonymous users are usually used with the built-in IUSR anonymous account.
The account may have several other priveleges that you might have to find out
and manually set if you are using an AD account.

It is better to leave it with anonymous. If you are changing it for setting
the context for accessing some resource in your ASP code, you should consider
using .NET impersonation and not change the IIS account.

Regards,
Pandurang