The smallest and largest values of numeric types

tom

Hi!
How can I determine the smallest and largest values of numeric types
(for example int) possible in my system? I think there exists a function
for this task but I don't know it.

Lou Pecora

Hi!
How can I determine the smallest and largest values of numeric types
(for example int) possible in my system? I think there exists a function
for this task but I don't know it.

There is or was a module called "kinds" which was an implementation of
PEP 0242. I have it and it gives the values you are looking for (and
more). But I don't know where I got it. I think it was once
distributed with Macpython on MacPython.org, but I'm not sure. I've
searched for it, but nothing shows up except my own questions about it
from many years ago and they have no clues.

Does anyone know where this package is? Or what might replace it. It
is very useful.

Robert Kern

Lou said:
There is or was a module called "kinds" which was an implementation of
PEP 0242. I have it and it gives the values you are looking for (and
more). But I don't know where I got it. I think it was once
distributed with Macpython on MacPython.org, but I'm not sure. I've
searched for it, but nothing shows up except my own questions about it
from many years ago and they have no clues.

I'm surprised they also didn't turn up my replies to those questions.
Does anyone know where this package is? Or what might replace it. It
is very useful.

It used to be distributed with Numeric.

http://numpy.cvs.sourceforge.net/numpy/kinds/

numpy exposes the same information for floating point types with its finfo
class. Nothing particular for ints.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

fumanchu

How can I determine the smallest and largest values
of numeric types (for example int) possible in my
system? I think there exists a function for this task
but I don't know it.

This should work for ints:

import sys
print sys.maxint

For floats, just try until it fails. This is from
http://projects.amor.org/geniusql/browser/trunk/geniusql/adapters.py#l41

# Determine max binary digits for float on this system. Crude but
effective.
maxfloat_digits = 2
while True:
L = (2 ** (maxfloat_digits + 1)) - 1
if int(float(L)) != L:
break
maxfloat_digits += 1

Note this will get you the number of binary digits, which is not a
simple matter to translate to maximum and minimum values, since floats
are inexact numerics. IEEE 754 floats are stored with one bit for the
sign, some bits for the exponent (which is biased) and some for the
significand. See http://babbage.cs.qc.edu/IEEE-754/32bit.html for a
visual example of how it works.

Robert Brewer
System Architect
Amor Ministries
(e-mail address removed)

tom

Thank you for your answers. Seems like the limits of numeric values
aren't considered as important in Python as in C ;)

Michael Hoffman

fumanchu said:
This should work for ints:

import sys
print sys.maxint

One should note that ints bigger than sys.maxint are possible almost
seamlessly since Python will use longs for these numbers:

Python 2.5 (r25:51908, Mar 13 2007, 08:13:14)
[GCC 3.4.4 (cygming special, gdc 0.12, using dmd 0.125)] on cygwin
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.2085924830053169311564321191305931199741711560688200050463950578047164169337729650765802242049L

Of course performance decreases for longer longs.

mensanator

Thank you for your answers. Seems like the limits of numeric values
aren't considered as important in Python as in C ;)

Sure, they're important, we just don't want to notice them. That's why
conversion to longs is automatic, so that number size limits don't
cause problems and your problems are solved rather than throw
exceptions or produce invalid results.

Hendrik van Rooyen

Michael Hoffman said:
20859248300531693115643211913059311997417115606882000504639505780471641693377296
50765802242049L

Of course performance decreases for longer longs.

I once made a thing that tried to find the limit of longs and stopped
when I had two or three screenfulls of numbers.

I came to the conclusion that for "integer" arithmetic like this,
the limit is either your memory size, or some other number
that is so big that in practice you don't have to worry about it..

- Hendrik

Steven D'Aprano

I once made a thing that tried to find the limit of longs and stopped
when I had two or three screenfulls of numbers.

You should find that converting longs to strings (say, for printing them)
is *very* slow. E.g. the following code

big = 10L**100 # one google, a big number
while True:
print big # so we can see the last value before it fails
big *= 10

will run terribly slow and should be written as:

big = 10L**100 # one google, a big number
try:
while True:
big *= 10
except: # don't know what exception will be raised, so catch ANYTHING
print len(str(big))-1 # the number of digits

only does the slow conversion to string once, instead of every time around
the loop. However, once your machine starts paging, it will still slow
down a lot.

I came to the conclusion that for "integer" arithmetic like this, the
limit is either your memory size, or some other number that is so big
that in practice you don't have to worry about it..

Yes, longs are limited only by the amount of memory accessible.

mensanator

You should find that converting longs to strings (say, for printing them)
is *very* slow. E.g. the following code

big = 10L**100 # one google, a big number
while True:
    print big # so we can see the last value before it fails
    big *= 10

will run terribly slow and should be written as:

big = 10L**100 # one google, a big number
try:
    while True:
        big *= 10
except: # don't know what exception will be raised, so catch ANYTHING
    print len(str(big))-1 # the number of digits

only does the slow conversion to string once, instead of every time around
the loop. However, once your machine starts paging, it will still slow
down a lot.

Yes, longs are limited only by the amount of memory accessible.

But there may be other limitations even if you have the memory.

For example, this test is limited to generation 10
because tne 11th generation produces "outrageous
exponent" error. Here, every 9th 1st generation,
starting from the fifth is a second generation, every
9th sencond, starting from the fifth, is a 3rd generation,
every 9th 3rd gen, starting from the 5th is a 4th gen, etc.

Closed form: Type12MH(k,i)
Find ith, kth Generation Type [1,2] Mersenne Hailstone
using the closed form equation

2**(6*((i-1)*9**(k-1)+(9**(k-1)-1)/2+1)-1)-1

2**5-1 generation: 1
2**29-1 generation: 2
2**245-1 generation: 3
2**2189-1 generation: 4
2**19685-1 generation: 5
2**177149-1 generation: 6
2**1594325-1 generation: 7
2**14348909-1 generation: 8
2**129140165-1 generation: 9
2**1162261469-1 generation:10

1.797 seconds

There is never a number too large to worry about.