The status of Python and SOAP?

Thomas W

I'm going to give a presentation of python to my co-workers at a very
pro-microsoft workplace. Almost everything we need is currently
supported by the standard distro + the win32all package, but we also
need support for SOAP. I've tried SOAPpy ( didn't get it to compile,
needed a library from a dead site ) and a few others, but I cannot help
the feeling that SOAP isn't very high on the list of priorities in the
python community. I hope I'm wrong.

In short: What library is currently the best alternative to implement
stable, efficient SOAP-webservices, both client and servers? What
library is being actively maintained?

Any hint or help would be great.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Thomas said:
I'm going to give a presentation of python to my co-workers at a very
pro-microsoft workplace. Almost everything we need is currently
supported by the standard distro + the win32all package, but we also
need support for SOAP. I've tried SOAPpy ( didn't get it to compile,
needed a library from a dead site ) and a few others, but I cannot help
the feeling that SOAP isn't very high on the list of priorities in the
python community. I hope I'm wrong.

You are right. It is not very high on the list of priorities.

Regards,
Martin

Larry Bates

I would venture to guess that this is the one I would lean towards
if I needed SOAP support:

http://www.effbot.org/downloads/#elementsoap

I know is says "experimental" but Fredrik Lundh's idea of experimental
always seems to be everyone else's idea of a shipping product (e.g his
code just seems to work). Since it is based on elementree, which is
now in the standard library, I think it would be a good bet. Perhaps
you could assist on the development?

-Larry

Steven Bethard

Larry said:
I would venture to guess that this is the one I would lean towards
if I needed SOAP support:

http://www.effbot.org/downloads/#elementsoap

I know is says "experimental" but Fredrik Lundh's idea of experimental
always seems to be everyone else's idea of a shipping product (e.g his
code just seems to work). Since it is based on elementree, which is
now in the standard library, I think it would be a good bet.

Note that to get elementsoap working with the ElementTree in the stdlib,
you need to make a few changes. See the thread here:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2006-October/366522.html

Fredrik Lundh suggested that some of elementsoap should probably be
rewritten with the iterparse API, but I haven't had time to do that (and
likely won't for a while).

That all said, I'd agree that elementsoap is probably the right route to go.

Steve

Paul Boddie

Thomas said:
I'm going to give a presentation of python to my co-workers at a very
pro-microsoft workplace. Almost everything we need is currently
supported by the standard distro + the win32all package, but we also
need support for SOAP. I've tried SOAPpy ( didn't get it to compile,
needed a library from a dead site ) and a few others, but I cannot help
the feeling that SOAP isn't very high on the list of priorities in the
python community. I hope I'm wrong.

The Debian and Ubuntu repositories are quite good at providing complete
source packages, even when the original package is incomplete and
points you to non-existent or no-longer-existent Web sites. See this
page for some leads:

http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python-soappy

(I guess that you're talking about fpconst.)

Good luck with the presentation!

Paul

Waldemar Osuch

Thomas said:
I'm going to give a presentation of python to my co-workers at a very
pro-microsoft workplace. Almost everything we need is currently
supported by the standard distro + the win32all package, but we also
need support for SOAP. I've tried SOAPpy ( didn't get it to compile,
needed a library from a dead site ) and a few others, but I cannot help
the feeling that SOAP isn't very high on the list of priorities in the
python community. I hope I'm wrong.

In short: What library is currently the best alternative to implement
stable, efficient SOAP-webservices, both client and servers? What
library is being actively maintained?

Any hint or help would be great.

You may have tried it already but judging from mailing list and SVN
commits
the most actively maintained is ZSI from
http://pywebsvcs.sourceforge.net/

Waldemar