Three dimensions pictures?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Some '50s films simulated this by blue-
and-red outlining, but that's just a method of synthesizing 2 images in
effect

I saw The House of Wax in 3-D in Cairo in the early 1950s.

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
In Cairo? No kidding. I'm surprised it didn't melt...

What were you doing there, anyway, -taking asp lessons?

You try landing on earth from outer space and choose your exact
location...

dorayme

Ben C said:
Thanks for the link. I was just wondering if I could still see those
Magic Eye pictures.

I found my book on MagicEye with lots of beaut examples. I grabbed it
and opened it up with one hand and with the other took a quick pic of
one of the examples. All a bit sloppy and not quite parallel! And then
onto the computer, resized down to a mere 800px across and jpg'd 80% and
still one could see the 3_D effect!

With the book, one can actually move the book away from parallel and
still see the effect. Not very far mind you, perhaps 5 to 10 degrees.

And, perhaps you will be interested to know, a friend of mine, worked
out a Basic program to make one of these things and has a nice framed
black and white print to prove it. I asked him this morning how he had
done it and he said he recalls it took him a lot of programming work!

dorayme

Ben C said:
Interesting. For your next trick try making an animated one. I wonder if
the brain can maintain the illusion between animation frames.

Rotating the image between frames probably won't work since they
probably only work at 0 and 180 degrees. But a small amount of shearing
perhaps could produce a wobbly shark. You'd want the animation to start
only after enough time had elapsed for the subject to acquire the shark
the first time.
Yes, maybe on a later rainy day! The trouble is the relationship between
pic, eye and brain is all a bit delicate as anyone who looks at these
things can attest.

I could not resist looking at some more today and with some, one can
actually make the scene move or sway by gently altering the angle of the
book (once one has caught the 3-D effect). Here is one that is pretty
easy but spectacular and is distinctive in that it does not look like
the others in the "random-dot" way:

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/pics/coins.jpg>

Another hand-held quick shot under ordinary desk-light filament bulb.