Three dimensions pictures?

Paul

I was wondering about really NEW presentation of images.
If I sell objects about my commerce, and I put fine images on my website it's OK.
But it is true that also a fine picture doesn't show the REAL object. When a customer receives the object, it seem
different in some way from the picture.

A better way to show an object could be if it is presented it in 3D pictures.
This is a new idea, I think. I have never seen a website showing objects in this way.

How could it be realized? Are the actual tecnologies ready and capable to do this?

I have already experimented and viewed 3D pictures on the screen of my computer, but it is difficult for all people to
use and to try this method.
What is this method? Here it is:

Put in the screen two separate photos of the object, taken by a stereoscopic photocamera - in the same horizontal line -
one to the right and the other to the left side of the screen.

Then, watch the screen looking to the two pictures together (each eye looks to one photo).
Suddenly, in your view field you will see a THIRD photo, in the middle of the exixsting two.
This third photo (created by your eyes and your brain) has really three dimensions. You will see the depth like if the
object is "inside" the screen.

I have tried this method on stereoscopic photos taken by NASA on Mars. Well, I have really been on that planet. I was
there!! Great!!

What do you think?
Paul

TheGuy

I have tried this method on stereoscopic photos taken by NASA on Mars. Well, I have really been on that planet. I was
there!! Great!!

What do you think?
Paul

What items do you sell that you think this would be a good idea for?

Paul

TheGuy said:
What items do you sell that you think this would be a good idea for?

I sell Favor Cakes http://www.tortebomboniere.com/bomboniere/favourcake01.html
A three dimensions picture could be useful to show the "volume" and how they appear in reality. I have made and inserted
in the site some short video clips and it is useful and helps but it isn't the same thing as a 3D presentation that
could be surely better. When a customer receives one of those item, they write to us that it is better than it appears
on pictures.

This 3D system, if possible, could be useful for almost all the objects showed in internet, not only for my favor cakes.
Paul

Kabuki Armadillo

Paul said:
I was wondering about really NEW presentation of images.
A better way to show an object could be if it is presented it in 3D
pictures.
This is a new idea, I think. I have never seen a website showing objects
in this way.
> Put in the screen two separate photos of the object, taken by a
stereoscopic photocamera - in the same horizontal line -
one to the right and the other to the left side of the screen.

Then, watch the screen looking to the two pictures together (each eye
looks to one photo).
Suddenly, in your view field you will see a THIRD photo, in the middle of
the exixsting two.
This third photo (created by your eyes and your brain) has really three
dimensions. You will see the depth like if the object is "inside" the
screen.

One of those "good in theory" but "not so good in practice" ideas. You'll
have people going cross-eyed trying to gaze into the depths of their screens
much the crowds that used to gather around those "Magic Eye" posters at
parties. (Funny story. . . While in San Francisco decades ago, I was creeped
out one night to see a crowd of people gathered outside a print shop. They
were standing there silently, gently swaying back and forth on one spot like
pod people out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I could see them all
staring intently at this seemingly nonsense print of bizarre shapes and
colours -- the first time I had ever seen or heard of Magic Eye posters.)

I've seen a simpler alternative approach using animated GIFs. Essentially
take your two photos, create an animated GIF with it. As the photos flick
back and forth the "after images" combine to create a 3-d impression. Don't
ask me how it works, it just does. . . there's a website out there that
describes the process. I've come across it via Digg, Deli.ci.ous etc.

The advantage is that if someone chooses to turn off animated GIFs -- as
some people do -- they will usually still see the first image in the
sequence displayed as a static picture so you still get to showcase your
products.

Paul

Kabuki Armadillo said:
I've seen a simpler alternative approach using animated GIFs. Essentially take your two photos, create an animated GIF
with it. As the photos flick back and forth the "after images" combine to create a 3-d impression. Don't ask me how it
works, it just does. . . there's a website out there that describes the process. I've come across it via Digg,
Deli.ci.ous etc.
cut

I have found one of those website. It's interesting.
http://www.well.com/~jimg/stereo/stereo_list.html

Paul

Jonathan N. Little

Paul said:
I have tried this method on stereoscopic photos taken by NASA on Mars. Well, I have really been on that planet. I was
there!! Great!!

I don't having folks cross their eyes will sell more cakes anymore than
the funny glasses improved Disney's kiddie flicks.

Use good photos and descriptions and easy to use interface will work
best for you. Now if they ever figure out how to digitize smell and taste...

dorayme

"Paul said:
I have tried this method on stereoscopic photos taken by NASA on Mars. Well,
I have really been on that planet. I was
there!! Great!!

What do you think?

I don't like it. It sounds like an intrusion of privacy.

richard

[...]

Oh ppuhleeeze!

do you comprehend the meaning of 3 dimensional?
Now how can one represent a 3 dimensional object on a 2 dimensional
plane?
The term "3d" in computing sense, does not mean an object has physical
depth. It only appears to have physical depth.
The object is still 2 dimensional, height and width. Nothing more.
Period.

asdf

richard said:
Oh ppuhleeeze!

do you comprehend the meaning of 3 dimensional?
Now how can one represent a 3 dimensional object on a 2 dimensional
plane?

Google "parallax" and "persistence of vision".... the important word in the
above paragraph being 'represent'. 3D objects have been 'represented' in
steroscopes for at least 150 years..., and they are most certainly on a 2D
plane. I don't think the OP was suggesting matter transfer :)), rather a
'representation' of 3 dimensions.
The term "3d" in computing sense, does not mean an object has physical
depth. It only appears to have physical depth.

....oh, you mean 'representing' 3 dimensions, like you said earlier. I don't
think the OP wanted to 'present' the objects, but to 'represent' (note the
prefix 're') their three dimensions. Fairly obvious.
The object is still 2 dimensional, height and width. Nothing more.
Period.

No kidding, Hipparchus.

Try thinking outside the triangle ;)

dorayme

"Paul said:
I am not talking about necessary or unnecessary things. The world is full of
unnecessary things that people buy.
And I am not complaining about my ecommerce, because it really is ok and
many times we must refuse orders as we haven't enough time.

My question is general.
If I (or you, or another person) want to show an object in a website, I put
one or more photo of it, and write description, dimensions, color etc.etc.
giving people all possible informations about the object.
I have made this in my website When you see a thumb photo and you click on
it, you'll see an entire page dedicated to that item, complete with several
pictures and description. Could be a better way to describe an object?
People is not confused, because there are all useful information. But
sometimes when they buy the object they are surprised to find it more
beautiful than they have seen on website (at least, this is what they write
to us).

For this reason I think that describing the object with a lot of pictures
etc. doesn't transfer ALL information that a 3D image could be able to
transfer with a single image.

I know, it isn't possible, and it's a pity. In the future, perhaps?
Paul

Don't worry, Paul. It is possible. You *can* make better pictures. You
can get better cameras, lenses, more photographic skills, you can take
movies of your cakes rotating on turnstiles and you can have Naomi Watts
eating one to give a sense of scale and on and on.

In the url above, there is no pic of cake, just cardboard things... In
your other pictures, blue cakes are photographed on blue backgrounds (or
made to appear on them). There is no sense of scale. And they do not
look real but like cardboard replicas.

That is not how people see cakes in real life... so there are many
things you can do before even thinking about movies or 3-D.

Bottom line, send me a return business class ticket to Rome and I will
show you how to make photos of real cakes. Send a ticket to Naomi Watts
too so I can get a few shots of her eating them when I get there.

Paul

dorayme said:
In the url above, there is no pic of cake, just cardboard things...

But they ARE MADE using carton boxes....
They aren't edible cakes like those in pastry shops.
They are favor cakeS. Inside each carton box there are sugared almonds or sweets...
They are new kind of favors rapidly expanding from Italy to the rest of the world.

About making better photos, you are right.
And I'll ask to Naomi Watts, too :))

Thank your for your suggestions, anyway.
Paul

dorayme

"Paul said:
But they ARE MADE using carton boxes....
They aren't edible cakes like those in pastry shops.
They are favor cakeS. Inside each carton box there are sugared almonds or
sweets...
They are new kind of favors rapidly expanding from Italy to the rest of the
world.

About making better photos, you are right.
And I'll ask to Naomi Watts, too :))

Thank your for your suggestions, anyway.
Paul

Okay, I have not followed closely this thread. I am getting the picture.
You want your customers to get a real impression of an impression of
cakes, which latter is largely cardboard. Fine! (as Luigi would say, you
sure you are not Luigi?).

But the same sort of thing that I said before applies. You need a better
sense of scale, of them standing as interesting objects in an
environment. In other words, they must stand out from some more
realistic background. Realistic backgrounds are not bluey expanses.
Naomi Watts is a more realistic background. Or even Harrison Ford after
he gets back from finding some valuable and long lost tomb. He walks
into a uni cafe and there he sees... one of your "cakes"! He wants it
for a lecture on desirable objects. You have to get him holding one of
these creations of yours.

Paul

dorayme said:
You need a better sense of scale, of them standing as interesting objects in an
environment. In other words, they must stand out from some more
realistic background. Realistic backgrounds are not bluey expanses.

It's true, you're right. Thanks
Paul

asdf

dorayme said:
Don't worry, Paul. It is possible. You *can* make better pictures. You
can get better cameras, lenses, more photographic skills, you can take
movies of your cakes rotating on turnstiles and you can have Naomi Watts
eating one to give a sense of scale and on and on.

In the url above, there is no pic of cake, just cardboard things... In
your other pictures, blue cakes are photographed on blue backgrounds (or
made to appear on them). There is no sense of scale. And they do not
look real but like cardboard replicas.

That is not how people see cakes in real life... so there are many
things you can do before even thinking about movies or 3-D.

Bottom line, send me a return business class ticket to Rome and I will
show you how to make photos of real cakes. Send a ticket to Naomi Watts
too so I can get a few shots of her eating them when I get there.

If you need a gaffer, let me know :)

asdf

Neredbojias said:
Okay, Hippopotamus, but just for the record - I seldom do a lot of
thinking
when I'm inside the triangle as it is.

Hats off... good answer ;)

I'm now thinking of Carl Sagan's (RIP) explanation as to why it might be
impossibile for us (as humans) to perceive any more than three dimensions...
nice. Yet we CAN describe mathematically n-dimensions, and it IS possible to
represent three dimensions from two... even visually!

dorayme

"asdf said:
"dorayme"
If you need a gaffer, let me know :)

I will. You might care to apply for the job formerly. Send $US5.70 as
the rego fee for this. It will increase your chances.

BTW, someone sent me an email with a link that was too long for my
newsreader (I will get into trouble with Gus if I post it so I grabbed
the pic, renamed it and stuck it on this server). It is a Magic Eye type
3-D - I am pretty sue I have in a book too somewhere:

<http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/pics/shark3D.png>

I wondered when seeing it if it was Blinky hiding from me.