    timings and generate HDL directly from them. Anyone have any good
    ideas.

    Thanks, Kieran.

    Kieran Francisco, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Kieran Francisco

    Phil Tomson Guest

    Interesting idea. So, if I understand correctly, you would want to
    generate a state machine from a timing diagram and then generate an HDL
    of the state machine. Is that what you're proposing?

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Kieran Francisco

    Jim Wu Guest

  4. Kieran,

    I don't believe timing diagrams can completely specify bus interface.
    They may define some functional constraints, but this will be only
    partial design specification (I even dont mention missed specification
    for "backdoor" side of bus interface). However, partial specification
    still may be useful for automatic generation of verification
    constraints in OVL, OVA, Specman or PSL(Sugar) format. For this
    purpose, you may try TestBencher Pro from SynaptiCAD (If you'll decide
    to evaluate this tool, it would be interesting to get your comments
    about it).

    Regards,
    Alexander Gnusin
    www.TCLforEDA.net

    Alexander Gnusin, Sep 9, 2003
  5. Our WaveFormer Pro and TestBencher Pro products both have the capability
    to do this to varying degrees. You can find out more at our web site:

    http://www.syncad.com

    best regards,

    Dan Notestein
    SynaptiCAD

    (Kieran Francisco) wrote in

    Dan Notestein, Sep 10, 2003
  6. Kieran Francisco

    Paul Chaffey Guest

    Hi Kieran,

    you can try our products - TimingTool or TimingTool Lite.

    The TimingTool Lite is our free to use online java applet which allows
    users to enter and edit timing diagrams. There are also translators
    that supply full VHDL and Verilog outputs from the timing diagrams.

    The full product, TimingTool has many more features that may be useful
    to you if you are connecting many IP blocks together. This is supplied
    as a download which is installed on your local machine (unlike
    TimingTool Lite). Some of the extra features include relationships
    between edges, parameter tables, a macro language, and excellent
    export capabilities (eg. straight to HTML). Also VHDL and Verilog
    exports are supplied as with the TimingTool Lite product.

    TimingTool can be found at: www.timingtool.com

    Hope this helps,

    Paul.

    Paul Chaffey, Sep 10, 2003

  7. Thank you for all your replies to my posting.

    I will try out your recommendations and let you know how I get on.

    Kieran

    Kieran Francisco, Sep 10, 2003
  8. Kieran Francisco

    VhdlCohen Guest

    I am looking for a Tool that I can generate VHDL and/or Verilog
    I am questioning the whole premise on the need to generate HDL from
    a timing diagram for TB designs. I personally prefer"
    1. A transaction-based approach (see my site under models, veriflang.pdf
    Document: Transaction-Based Verification in HDL) where the transator (or
    client) makes high level transaction requests, and the server provides the
    low-levl interfaces to the DUT. It is not difficult to code a server to do
    READs, WRITEs, DMA, IDLE, etc. classes of cyles. If that is difficult, then
    you don't understand the design.

    2. I also encourge the use of PSL to perform white-box verification for
    simulation or formal verification.

    Ben Cohen Publisher, Trainer, Consultant (310) 721-4830
    http://www.vhdlcohen.com/
    Author of following textbooks:
    * Using PSL/SUGAR with Verilog and VHDL
    Guide to Property Specification Language for ABV, 2003 isbn 0-9705394-4-4
    0-9705394-2-8
    * Component Design by Example ", 2001 isbn 0-9705394-0-1
    * VHDL Coding Styles and Methodologies, 2nd Edition, 1999 isbn 0-7923-8474-1
    * VHDL Answers to Frequently Asked Questions, 2nd Edition, isbn 0-7923-8115

    VhdlCohen, Sep 10, 2003
  9. Kieran Francisco

    Steve Remme Guest

    You didn't mention if you needed a free tool....if not, an excellent tool
    for doing this is Quickbench from Forte Design Systems. It's easy to use and
    very powerful (you can do things like pause a timing diagram, parameterize
    it, etc.).

    Being primarily a hardware designer, timing diagrams are a common form of
    thinking/explaining for me. I used this in my last job to do verification of
    some IP we were developing for a customer and it was the best verification
    environment I have used.

    Steve Remme, Sep 17, 2003
  10. Kieran Francisco

    VhdlCohen Guest

    Being primarily a hardware designer, timing diagrams are a common form of
    Thin PSL Property Specification Language as Assertion-Based Verification (ABV)
    is really coming into real play for verification.
    .... ABV (like PSL) is to verification as
    RTL is to synthesis .......

    VhdlCohen, Sep 17, 2003