Tips Re Pattern Matching / REGEX

egonslokar

Hello Python Community,

I have a large text file (1GB or so) with structure similar to the
html example below.

I have to extract content (text between div and tr tags) from this
file and put it into a spreadsheet or a database - given my limited
python knowledge I was going to try to do this with regex pattern
matching.

Would someone be able to provide pointers regarding how do I approach
this? Any code samples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sam

\\ there are hundreds of thousands of items

\\Item1

That span several rows? </div>

\\Item2

But the second line can go here</div>
Can span

\\Item3

But the second line can go here</div>
Span several rows</div>

Miki

Hello,
I have a large text file (1GB or so) with structure similar to the
html example below.

I have to extract content (text between div and tr tags) from this
file and put it into a spreadsheet or a database - given my limited
python knowledge I was going to try to do this with regex pattern
matching.

Would someone be able to provide pointers regarding how do I approach
this? Any code samples would be greatly appreciated.
The ultimate tool for handling HTML is http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/
where you can do stuff like:
soup = BeautifulSoup(html)
for div in soup("div", {"class" : "special"}):

Not sure how fast it is though.

There is also the htmllib module that comes with python, it might do
the work as well and maybe a bit faster.
If the file is valid HTML and you need some speed, have a look at
xml.sax.

HTH,