"Title" Meta tag???

KiwiBrian

Can someone please tell me whether there is or is not a "Title" meta tag as
a seperate entity from the <title> tag entry.
I have a client telling me that according to the W3 specs there is a "title"
meta tag, and some pages proffering SEO advice seem to confirm this, whereas
othe pages state that there is no such meta tag.
Thanks
Brian Tozer

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, KiwiBrian
I have a client telling me that according to the W3 specs there is a "title"
meta tag, and some pages proffering SEO advice seem to confirm this, whereas
othe pages state that there is no such meta tag.

The <meta> element can contain whatever information you want - you can
call one "title" if you want to. The W3C doesn't say anything about it
(in fact, they say that the document title is already covered by the
<title> element), and whether search engines will look at it is also
questionable, since they don't generally look at the more common meta
tags (e.g. keywords) anyway.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.2

Blinky the Shark

KiwiBrian wrote:

[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read it
as "KiwiBrain". :)

Neredbojias

KiwiBrian wrote:

[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read it
as "KiwiBrain". :)

Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
KiwiBrian wrote:

[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read it
as "KiwiBrain". :)

Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...

I think you meant "water on the brian". :)

Jukka K. Korpela

KiwiBrian said:
I have a client telling me that according to the W3 specs there is a
"title" meta tag,

Well, this is easy to solve: ask the client to specify the specification and
clause that makes such a statement, and then read it. If problems remain,
post a URL that refers to the clause and tell how your client has
(mis)understood it.
and some pages proffering SEO advice seem to
confirm this, whereas othe pages state that there is no such meta tag.

There is an infinite supply of bogus "SEO advice".

Leonard Blaisdell

KiwiBrian said:
Can someone please tell me whether there is or is not a "Title" meta tag as
a seperate entity from the <title> tag entry.
I have a client telling me that according to the W3 specs there is a "title"
meta tag, and some pages proffering SEO advice seem to confirm this, whereas
othe pages state that there is no such meta tag.
Thanks
Brian Tozer

There is a title element which you have to be aware of. There is also a
title attribute <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html>. Is
that what you mean by meta tag?

leo

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read
it as "KiwiBrain". :)

Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...

I think you meant "water on the brian". :)

Swallow 2 dessicants and call the nurse shark in the morning...

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read
it as "KiwiBrain". :)

Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...

I think you meant "water on the brian". :)

Swallow 2 dessicants and call the nurse shark in the morning...

Will I be able to play the violin after this surgery?

Ed Mullen

Blinky said:
Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read
it as "KiwiBrain". :)
Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...
I think you meant "water on the brian". :)
Swallow 2 dessicants and call the nurse shark in the morning...

Will I be able to play the violin after this surgery?

Could you play it before?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Blinky the Shark

Ed said:
Blinky said:
Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
<[email protected]> vouchsafed:

[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read
it as "KiwiBrain". :)
Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...
I think you meant "water on the brian". :)
Swallow 2 dessicants and call the nurse shark in the morning...

Will I be able to play the violin after this surgery?

Could you play it before?

There's always a catch!

Neredbojias

[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read
it as "KiwiBrain". :)

Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...

I think you meant "water on the brian". :)

Swallow 2 dessicants and call the nurse shark in the morning...

Will I be able to play the violin after this surgery?

You'll probably have to go with the juice harp.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
[stuff]

Dammit! Intellectually, I know perfectly well what your nym is, but
EVERY time, for as long as I've seen your posts, I STILL first read
it as "KiwiBrain". :)

Perhaps you're getting water on the brain...

I think you meant "water on the brian". :)

Swallow 2 dessicants and call the nurse shark in the morning...

Will I be able to play the violin after this surgery?

You'll probably have to go with the juice harp.

I was just reading a discussion of Politically Correct terms in another
group. :)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
I was just reading a discussion of Politically Correct terms in
another group. :)

Well, what's politically correct to a fish may open a whole new can of
worms for a human...

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Well, what's politically correct to a fish may open a whole new can of
worms for a human...

Well, it was you homo (and hetero, too, I presume) sapiens that decided
on the PC name "juice harp", not us. ;)

Neredbojias

Well, it was you homo (and hetero, too, I presume) sapiens that decided
on the PC name "juice harp", not us. ;)

Well, I wasn't consulted when the decision was made so you can hardly blame
me. I just go with the standards...

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
Well, I wasn't consulted when the decision was made so you can hardly blame
me. I just go with the standards...

That was humor.