    For a more extensive tutorial concerning opening and working with files:

    perldoc perlopentut

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 21, 2005

  2. If *who* reads *what* thread? We're not all using Google Groups.
    Crybaby detected, attitude filter engaging.

    *plonk*

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 21, 2005

  3. Sherm Pendley

    h3r0 Guest

    hi

    can anyone help with a one liner that reads a string from a file and
    converts it to uppercase.

    the string is always in this format

    abcd0101a01

    thanks for your time.

    h3r0, Jun 21, 2005
  4. See perldoc perlfunc

    You would also benefit from consulting the posting guidelines for this
    newsgroup to find out how you can help yourself and help others help you.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 21, 2005
  5. I suggest "perldoc -f uc"

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 21, 2005
  6. Sherm Pendley

    h3r0 Guest

    i know, its just that im running out of time, this has to be done by
    yesterday!

    h3r0, Jun 21, 2005
  7. Sherm Pendley

    h3r0 Guest

    if you read the thread you know what i am talking about!

    look if u dont want to help then dont go on about it!, someone else
    with skills and willingness may help.

    h3r0, Jun 21, 2005
  8. Sherm Pendley

    Paul Lalli Guest

    Okay, so *you're* asking *us* for help, but *we* should be the ones who
    change the method by which we read this newsgroup, to better serve
    *you*?

    You have a funny sense of priorities.
    You've been given plenty of help already. Can you explain how the
    documentation you were pointed to did not answer your question?

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jun 21, 2005
  9. What do you know?

    Please some quote some context when replying.
    Then, maybe, you should have read the docs yesterday.

    Sinan

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 21, 2005
  10. How come that you have to repeat the same stuff over and over again?
    I just wrote this below in a different thread:

    <quote>
    You don't seem to know much about Usenet. Because of its asynchronous,
    distributed implementation there is no guarantee that articles
    - arrive on a server in a specific order
    - arrive on a server at all
    - are available on a server at any specific moment in time
    - are visible to a user now
    - have been visible to a user in the past
    - will ever be visible to a user
    To make a long story short: you can never assume that Joe Reader can see or
    has seen the same set of articles as you.

    Therefore, and to make reading more efficient (no need to scroll back to a
    previous article and most important knowing exactly which part of a
    preceeding article someone is commenting on) it has been a proven Usenet
    custom for the last two decades to quote just so much context from the
    preceeding article that your posting is understandable without someone
    reading the preceeding article. He may not had a chance to read it.
    </quote>

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 21, 2005
  11. As has been pointed out many times in this group, while Google Groups is
    an excellent *archive*, its web interface fails as a newsreader. As a
    person who has chosen Google Groups as your interface to UseNet, it is
    your responsibility to make sure you abide by time honoured conventions.
    One of those conventions is to quote an appropriate amount of context when
    replying. For more such niceties, see Google's own recommendations.
    As you wish.
    Unlikely, but there is always hope.

    *PLONK*

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 21, 2005
  12. Sherm Pendley

    h3r0 Guest

    well get a proper news reader twat :)

    h3r0, Jun 21, 2005
  13. Sherm Pendley

    Brian Wakem Guest

    I was going to help, but having just viewed your replies in this thread
    I have changed my mind.

    Brian Wakem, Jun 21, 2005
  14. Sherm Pendley

    Paul Lalli Guest

    *warning warning* Irony Overload *warning warning*

    Google Groups is NOT a "proper news reader". It is, in fact, one of
    the sorriest excuses for a news reader yet invented. Google Groups is
    GREAT for an archive. For posting and reading daily newsgroups, it's
    terrible. Perhaps the worst product Google has come up with.

    More to the point, we (that is, the regulars, the ones who generally
    *answer* the questions, rather than only ask), do not desire to read
    posts by thread, simply because we, unlike those who are asking the
    questions, are not reading just one thread. When someone posts a
    question, like yourself, that person tends to only focus on that
    message's thread, so of course you want to read just that thread, and
    threading the messages helps you. The answering participants, however,
    are reading pretty much EVERY message posted, and so it makes far more
    sense to read messages as they arrive, or to see messages that have
    arrived since the last time we checked.

    Since you are ASKING for help, it would be most helpful for you to help
    yourself, and that would involve posting in the way that that enables
    the people most likely to respond to read and understand your messages.

    Paul Lalli

    Paul Lalli, Jun 21, 2005
  15. Organization: http://groups.google.com

    Well, I can't deny it, this statement from someone who is using Google
    Groups as a newreader is quite aehhmm, shall we say "interesting"?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jun 21, 2005
  16. I'm reading posts by thread, but have my newsreader (Thunderbird) set to
    only show threads with unread posts.

    Just a tip. :)

    Gunnar Hjalmarsson, Jun 21, 2005

  17. While getting other people to do your work for you may work this time,
    it may prove a bad decision in the long run.

    So long!

    Tad McClellan, Jun 21, 2005
  18. Well, with such a well defined specification, the job should be easy.

    perl -e '$_ = <>; /^abcd0101a01$/ or die; print "ABCD0101A01\n";'

    There. That should do it, I think.

    (No, I'm not being serious. If I were, I could've easily given you a
    "real" solution, but since you said it was due yesterday, I guess you
    don't really need it anymore...)

    Ilmari Karonen, Jun 22, 2005