tomcat doubt

harryos

hi
i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
The textbook Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
webapps/ROOT.
I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
folder.
Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

Also,in the textbook ,the build.xml contains

<taskdef name="start" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StartTask" />
<taskdef name="stop" classname="org.apache.catalina.ant.StopTask" />

<target name="init" description="Initializes some properties.">
<!-- The context-path is just a slash character when it is the
ROOT application;see the start and stop targets, which already include
the slash as part of the URL pattern -->
<property name="context-path" value="" />
</target>

<target name="start"
description="Starts the default Web application">
<echo message="Starting the default application...."/>
<start
url="${url}"
username="${username}"
password="${password}"
path="/${context-path}"
/>
</target>

where url=http://localhost:8080/manager

Is this start target meant for starting tomcat server?Or is this for
starting manager?

i am quite new to j2ee .Can someone pls make this clear?

Arne Vajhøj

harryos said:
hi
i am trying to deploy a web app in tomcat6 using ant.
The textbook Java Servlet & JSP Cookbook by Bruce Perry says that
default Tomcat web application is in Tomcat-installation-directory>/
webapps/ROOT.
I have an older version apache-tomcat-5.5.27 in which i found a
webapps/ROOT folder.But in apache-tomcat-6.0.18 i couldn't find a ROOT
folder.
Do i have to create a ROOT folder?

My Tomcat 6 has a ROOT folder.
[...]

I think it is starting/stopping a specific web app.

Arne

stevenhong

My Tomcat 6 has a ROOT folder.

I think it is starting/stopping a specific web app.

Arne- Hide quoted text -

my tomcat version is 6.0.14. the ROOT folder also exists in the weapps