TomCat problem - locale problem?

Stephen Kellett

Hi Folks,

I'm not a TomCat user. However I'm in a situation where I need to use
TomCat to perform a test. I've tried installing it on NT4, W2K and XP. I
cannot get the thing to run. I've download TomCat 4.1 (because thats
what I have to use to get the same condition in which my software
fails).

I running in the UK, with Locale English (United Kingdom). The error
text is shown below. I think its grumbling because it can't find a UK
specific resource bundle. I've tried changing my Locale to English
(United States) but to no avail.

[ERROR] Digester - -Begin event threw exception
<java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.LocalStrings, locale
en_GB>java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base
name org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.LocalStrings, locale en_GB

When I downloaded the software no mention was made of any locale
specific issues. Any suggestions?

Stephen

Here is the full error text:
E:\>c:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd "C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Apache Tomcat 4.1"

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Apache
Tomcat 4.1>C:\jdk1.3\bin\java.exe -jar
-Duser.dir="C:\ApacheGroup\Tomcat4.1"
"C:\ApacheGroup\Tomcat4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start
[ERROR] Digester - -Begin event threw exception
<java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.LocalStrings, locale
en_GB>java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base
name org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.LocalStrings, locale en_GB
at
java.util.ResourceBundle.throwMissingResourceException(ResourceBundle
..java:707)
at
java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundleImpl(ResourceBundle.java:670)
at java.util.ResourceBundle.getBundle(ResourceBundle.java:546)
at
org.apache.catalina.util.StringManager.<init>(StringManager.java:115)

at
org.apache.catalina.util.StringManager.getManager(StringManager.java:
260)
at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteConnector.<init>(CoyoteConnector.java
:274)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.ObjectCreateRule.begin(ObjectCreateRule.j
ava:253)
at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1273)

at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Sour
ce)
at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractXMLDocumentParser.emptyElement(Unkn
own Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElemen
t(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl$FragmentContent
Dispatcher.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanDocument(Un
known Source)
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown
Source)
at org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
Source)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1548)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:449)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:400)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
at
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:203)

Catalina.start: java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle
for base n
ame org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.LocalStrings, locale en_GB
java.util.MissingResourceException: Can't find bundle for base name
org.apache.c
oyote.tomcat4.LocalStrings, locale en_GB
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java
:2540)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.createSAXException(Digester.java
:2566)
at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1276)

[...]

Murray

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>cd "C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Apache Tomcat 4.1"

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Start Menu\Programs\Apache
Tomcat 4.1>C:\jdk1.3\bin\java.exe -jar
-Duser.dir="C:\ApacheGroup\Tomcat4.1"
"C:\ApacheGroup\Tomcat4.1\bin\bootstrap.jar" start

This bit I don't understand. Did you type this yourself, or is it the output
of some script you've run? How are you actually starting Tomcat?

The missing resource bundle is generally a config issue, usually the
CATALINA_HOME or classpath vars aren't correct. Have you tried just running
start.bat or catalina.bat from the /bin directory?

Stephen Kellett

Murray said:
This bit I don't understand. Did you type this yourself, or is it the output
of some script you've run? How are you actually starting Tomcat?

If I ran the "start tomcat" shortcut it would fail and I couldn't catch
the output. So I opened the properties and copied what it did to a batch
file. Then I run the batch file from a command prompt so that I can see
the output when it fails.
The missing resource bundle is generally a config issue, usually the
CATALINA_HOME or classpath vars aren't correct. Have you tried just running
start.bat or catalina.bat from the /bin directory?

Yes. I've tried start.bat, it fails the same way.

This is the first I've heard of CATALINA_HOME.
JAVA_HOME is defined: c:\jdk1.3

Stephen

Stephen Kellett

network said:
Put it on an old Windows 98 PC...it should work.
It works on mine connected to a Windows LAN

:) I don't have one (aren't I the lucky one). And even if it does work
there, I then can't perform the test I need to run (which only can be
done on NT/W2K/XP).

Stephen