Tomcat Server Re-Start.

Steve Burrus

Can anyone/anybody please tell me how I can possibly AVOID RE-STARTING
TOMCAT after I have done some light editing to the web.xml file, i.e.,
the web descriptor file in the
"C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\ folder??! I am sick of
always having to do this!

D E

if you introduce a new servlet you have to restart it ( i believe). There is
an option you change so you don't need to restart it, but i think that's
only with servlets that you've updated. Tomcat actually checks the "last
modified" date and compares it with the previously modified dates. When
deploying though, it slows down dramatically... so only use this option in
development. (SEE BELOW)

To turn on servlet reloading, edit install_dir/conf/server.xml and add a
DefaultContext subelement to the main Service element and supply true for
the reloadable attribute. The easiest way to do this is to find the Context
element from the previous step and insert the following above it.

<DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>

This should put the entry just below the following comment:
<!-- Define properties for each web application. ...
-->

William Brogden

Can anyone/anybody please tell me how I can possibly AVOID RE-STARTING
TOMCAT after I have done some light editing to the web.xml file, i.e.,
the web descriptor file in the
"C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.19\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\ folder??! I am sick of
always having to do this!

Use the Web Application Manger - it will let you restart any "web
application" - which means it will re-read the web.xml AND reload all
classes, while the rest of Tomcat remains running.

It is all documented right there in your Tomcat installation.

D E

hey... i have a question... That was great advice btw. I actually went to
look into that... How do you change the password.. hahah i forgot my own
password.. is it in some xml file somewhere?
thanks,
the goof

Andrew Thompson

hey... i have a question...

Which is usually indicated by ending a group
of words with '?', rather than writing
'hey... i hava a question...'
..That was great advice btw.

What advice? It is a problem of top-posting
that a converstaion can become confused.
..I actually went to
look into that... How do you change the password.. hahah i forgot my own
password..

I will remind you that this thread is titled
'Tomcat Server Re-Start.'. It is neither a good
idea tactically, nor especially good manners,
to divert another person's thread to a new topic.
[ And yes, I have done it myself, and been told. ]
...is it in some xml file somewhere?
thanks,

Probably. But to get the best ideas from
the server gurus, you would be well advised
to _start_ a thread on that topic.

...apparently. ;-)

D E

see below.

Andrew Thompson said:
Which is usually indicated by ending a group
of words with '?', rather than writing
'hey... i hava a question...'

What advice? It is a problem of top-posting
that a converstaion can become confused.
<http://www.physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#netiquette>

ALright.. Now i see what you mean.... :) I thought it meant the thread of
messages, not the thread within the message itself. So, basically, INLINE
your message...
While you are sarcastic, it kind of does help to see the importance and
perspective... I apologize though and will be more considerate now that I
FULLY understand what you mean...
i also think a "see below" should be inserted to indicate the use of inline
commenting.
It is also noted, in NORMAL email use, inline commenting is STRONGLY
discouraged (i've been told on that one too), while in newgroups, inline
commenting is encouraged. I gues sthat's why it can be confusing (and
ultimately, irritating..)
Anyways, as is evident, your comments were considered, and will be
remembered as i further embark on my newsgroup usage....
..I actually went to
look into that... How do you change the password.. hahah i forgot my own
password..

I will remind you that this thread is titled
'Tomcat Server Re-Start.'. It is neither a good
idea tactically, nor especially good manners,
to divert another person's thread to a new topic.
[ And yes, I have done it myself, and been told. ]

sorry again
Probably. But to get the best ideas from
the server gurus, you would be well advised
to _start_ a thread on that topic.

i started one in apache.admin.alt
..apparently. ;-)

yeah yeah yeah .... heh...

Andrew Thompson

i also think a "see below" should be inserted
to indicate the use of inline commenting.

Good point. I'll try to remember.

For posts longer than 'a few lines',
in any case. ;-)