"Transparent" div not possible in IE - "background-attachment: fixed" not properly rendered

GuyBrush Treepwood

I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be "transparent".
But as stated on the site, IE doesn't render this properly because it
doesn't follow the standard.
I personally don't care for Microsoft or IE,
but making a website that the most people can't see as it is supposed to
be seen, is not very user-friendly.
Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

GuyBrush Treepwood

I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be "transparent".
But as stated on the site, IE doesn't render this properly because it
doesn't follow the standard.
I personally don't care for Microsoft or IE,
but making a website that the most people can't see as it is supposed to
be seen, is not very user-friendly.
Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

Sorry, here's the link:
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo.html

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I got this link in this newsgroup to show me how a div can be "transparent".
Is there a workaround to have the same effect in IE?

I assume from the subject line that you are talking about the
background-attachment: fixed; property, though you didn't mention it in
your actual message.

Anyway, it's amazing what a little googling will turn up:

http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/fixedBackground.html
http://www.pageresource.com/html/fixedbg.htm

Neither are ideal solutions, but they're probably about the best you're
going to get until IE7 (if you're lucky).

mscir

This works in my IE 6, Netscape 7.2, Firefox 1.0.1

<head>
<title>Opacity</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
body{
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
color: #000000;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
}
#menu{
margin: 5px;
display: block;
width: 160px;
top: 180px;
left: 9px;
opacity: .1; /* these 2 lines control opacity: they work
in IE, NN, Firefox */
filter: alpha(opacity=10); /* make sure the numbers agree, e.g. .7
corresponds to 70% */
color: #000000;
background-color: #FFFFFF;
border: 1px solid black;
padding: 10px;
}
</head>

This is the Opaque Div

Toby Inkster

mscir said:
opacity: .1; /* these 2 lines control opacity: they work
in IE, NN, Firefox */

Well, that one works in recent versions of Gecko, but it's part of CSS 3,
so not widely implemented yet.
filter: alpha(opacity=10); /* make sure the numbers agree, e.g. .7
corresponds to 70% */

And this one is a proprietry CSS extension from MS.

If you're just looking for a translucent *background*, then try:
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/translucency/

If you're after a translucent background *and* *foreground*, then try
mscir's suggestion, but also look into the "-khtml-opacity" property for
Konqueror and Safari support.