transparent PNG supported by most browsers?

Greg N.

This is not really an HTML question, but as I can't find a browser
newsgroup on my news server I'll ask the question here.

When I last looked into this question a couple years ago, the advice I
got was, don't use transparent PNG images, they are not or not well
supported by many browsers.

What's the situation today? It seems to work fine on IE8 and Firefox as
well as the Symbian and Opera on my smart phone. I don't know about
others, though.

So, can I assume transparent png support is widespread enough these days?

Jonathan N. Little

Greg said:
This is not really an HTML question, but as I can't find a browser
newsgroup on my news server I'll ask the question here.

When I last looked into this question a couple years ago, the advice I
got was, don't use transparent PNG images, they are not or not well
supported by many browsers.

A more accurate statement is "they not well supported by many versions
of MSIE" The 1-bit transparency (like a GIF) is not too bad IE6 supports
that, but alpha channel transparency requires IE9 to catch up with the
other browsers.