Animated PNG Vs Gif: 120fr 3D Python Powered Logo

Metallicow

Dear Guido and friends,

Noticed this is gaining alot more support lately.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/374397522/apngasm-foss-animated-png-tools-and-apng-standardi

After testing my gif and apng Animated 3D Python Powered Logos...
The difference is real obvious at first. apng wins with speed(gif is limited to say 1/10sec and apng can do at least 1/80sec) and transparency/color quality(tested on windows ATM)

Mozilla based browsers, Opera, Chrome(extension), Xnview and some other popular apps have integrated rendering apng functionality so far...
I wouldn't tend to think that the top browser devs were wrong in their choice.
It would be nice to receive the Guido *nod of approval*... attached samplesare under PSF License or your better suggestion, BDFL.

Hopefully there will be a libpng implementation and pyAPNG stuff(s) worked on also soon.

Attachments:
Animated Python Powered Logo - 120 frames
1. gif format
2. apng format(if it doesn't animate in your browser, then apng is not supported yet)

If you like what you see, then consider supporting the devs working on thisand help make it a standard or start devving yourselves.

@pyDEVs: Any news on this yet...?

Python Samples Downloads available:
Animated Python Powered Logo - 120 frames
1 gif & 1 apng samples in download.
http://www.4shared.com/archive/MzoW-0Kt/AnimatedPythonPoweredLogoGifVs.html

I can't seem to attach a file in this group, thus the waiting DL. Apparently, i am not qualified enough or something here(at least on this group)..., but then again if every python fanatic that posts spam here did the same, then the world would turn into eggs.

Your welcome. Python is the Best!

Comments, complaints, spam, eggs, etc., welcome here also.

Terry Reedy

Ian Kelly

Here is links to the apng/gif on ImageShack uploaded with the "Do Not Resize" option.
Checked/Views fine with default Firefox/Opera browsers.

Animated 3D Python Powered Logo
apng - 120frames 1/60 sec
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/4717/f4l4.png

gif - 120frames about 1/10sec or as fast as it can go...
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/4231/j29.gif

This is not entirely true. The minimum specifiable delay for a frame
in an animated gif (other than 0, which just means "as fast as
possible") is 0.01 second, which is the setting in the gif linked
above. However, most browsers that encounter this will automatically
increase the delay to 0.1 second. This is done for compatibility with
old versions of Netscape. According to [1], Firefox, Opera and Chrome
will accurately display delays as small as 0.02 seconds. Safari and
IE will accurately display delays as small as 0.06 seconds.

Here is an alternate version of the above gif that displays the
animation at 50 fps in the first three browsers listed above:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/Peristarkawan/j29-2.gif

And here it is at 17 fps with 2/3 of the frames removed, for the
benefit of IE and Safari:
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc41/Peristarkawan/j29-6.gif

[1] http://nullsleep.tumblr.com/post/16524517190/animated-gif-minimum-frame-delay-browser-compatibility

Metallicow

[...]

Thanks, I was having a bit of trouble trying to figure it out exactly myself in blender by eye-sight.
Interesting Test link.

When I originally rendered the animation it was transparent background, but when giffed it looked rather sick with gifs limited transparency and colors specs, so I rerendered and modded the text back into it on white which is what the other PSF logos have.
After looking at Firefox's spinning fox APNG on transparent, I think I will rerender the images again with transparency for the apng, so background color can be easily changed.
It seems the delays are not altered on the apngs also, which is a good thing.
Maybe there is an option with the browsers to disable gif 0 delay mangling...?

So What did you use to increase the speed of the gif? ...Errm Program or whatever used to mod it? I made the gif with gimp, since I find importing/exporting as layers a bit easier than using imageready.

Ian Kelly

Maybe there is an option with the browsers to disable gif 0 delay mangling...?

Perhaps there is, but you couldn't rely on the user to have changed it.
So What did you use to increase the speed of the gif? ...Errm Program or whatever used to mod it? I made the gif with gimp, since I find importing/exporting as layers a bit easier than using imageready.

I used a freeware called Photoscape to open the gif, change the
delays, and resave it.

Metallicow

I used a freeware called Photoscape to open the gif, change the
delays, and resave it.

Thanks, I have used the program before and recall some aspects of it, but as far as gif goes I try to not deal with them much because of the headaches involved with making them.
So Animation technology has advanced in general(Blender, ImageReady, GIMP), so it seems a slightly offbrand from the standards app shines though for once, for a such a thing as an outdated format. gif.
Cheers. As a graphic artist myself, some free softwares you might like to try.
Most are all still active.
* Pixel Image Editor
* TwistedBrush Open Studio
* Deep Paint
* MyPaint
* Artweaver
* AndreaMosaic
* Sumo Paint Pro (Adobe Online)

Anywho... Here is the official art link for the Animated Python Logo APNG.
http://fav.me/d6rdza2

I'll whip up a pack of gifs when I get the time... here in a few... todo.