Trapping F1, F2, F3, F4, etc. keys

fiefie.niles

Is there a way to trap F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys on ASP and have our own
codes to do whatever necessary for each of those keys ? Thank you.

Evertjan.

wrote on 25 nov 2006 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
Is there a way to trap F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys on ASP and have our own
codes to do whatever necessary for each of those keys ? Thank you.

Classic ASP, this NG's subject, is a platform for serverside code and has
no connection with the keyboard of the client.

Please ask in a clinetside NG.
Perhaps asp.net can, it has its owm dot.net NGs.

Anthony Jones

Is there a way to trap F1, F2, F3, F4 etc. keys on ASP and have our own
codes to do whatever necessary for each of those keys ? Thank you.

You can detect these keys in the onkeydown event using event.keyCode.
However unlike with other keys setting event.returnValue = false does not
stop the browser responding to these keys as it would do normally. Hence in
IE6 pressing F3 will open the search sidebar and there isn't anything you
can do about it.

The function keys belong to the browser not to the content it happens to be
showing. You might be able to get away with using function keys that have
no meaning to the browser.