Trapping for Dollar Signs

jerry

Hello,

I'm writing a perl script that reads a database and produces
printable output.
I sluffed the "printing" part of things off to LaTeX. So the script
produces
TeX output. And TeX takes care of making things pretty.

TeX has certain characters that it does NOT like to see in the
plaintext.
# $ % & ~ _ ^ \ { } to be exact. But it will tolerate them if
they're escaped with \.

Some of these are pretty special to Perl too. Especially in regex's.

Things like $string =~ s/\$/\\\$/g; are just not working out.
Whatever I try,
I either get "$" in the output or "\\$", never just "\$". Wait, I
thought of
something - I'll just write a little C program to do it :).

- O Stop me before I C again .....

- Jerry Kaidor