trivial java script question from a newbie

harikris

Hi,

My knowledge of java scipt is zero as of today.
I know a bit about html.

I need to make some changes in a website.
The website contains drop-down menus and these menus occur on multiple
html pages.
The menus are controlled by a java script (.js file)

All i want to do is edit the drop down menu text. Ex. Say if one of
the options under a drop down menu is "Contact Us", I want to edit it
to "Contact Address"

I don't know where these optional text fields are stored. But I am
pretty sure that a java script reads these fields from somewhere.

If you guys know how i can achieve this operation, kindly let me know.
I have a program that allows me to edit java scripts. Do i need to
"re-compile" a java script to make it effective? Any help or suggestion
is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RobG

Hi,

My knowledge of java scipt is zero as of today.

Then learn first that this is a forum for discussion of JavaScript,
otherwise known as ECMAScript Language.

I know a bit about html.

I need to make some changes in a website.
The website contains drop-down menus and these menus occur on multiple
html pages.
The menus are controlled by a java script (.js file)

Are you certain of that? You say you know zero JavaScript, maybe they
are CSS driven. Can you post a link?

All i want to do is edit the drop down menu text. Ex. Say if one of
the options under a drop down menu is "Contact Us", I want to edit it
to "Contact Address"

I don't know where these optional text fields are stored. But I am

If you can't find where the text is, you can't edit it. It's very
likely that the menu text is in the source HTML, have you looked there?
There are many tools that let you search the text in multiple files,
even Word will do it.

pretty sure that a java script reads these fields from somewhere.

JavaScript may not be reading them from anywhere, even if the menus are
script driven.

If you guys know how i can achieve this operation, kindly let me know.
I have a program that allows me to edit java scripts.

Any text editor will suffice.

Do i need to "re-compile" a java script to make it effective?

Presuming that you really are talking about JavaScript, no.

Any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Learn about JavaScript and (more?) about HTML, post a link.

harikris

Hi Rob,

"Are you certain of that? You say you know zero JavaScript, maybe they
are CSS driven."

"If you can't find where the text is, you can't edit it. It's very
likely that the menu text is in the source HTML, have you looked there?
"

"Presuming that you really are talking about JavaScript, no."

Thanks a lot. The above comments really helped.

-vj

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

RobG said:
Then learn first that this is a forum for discussion of JavaScript,
otherwise known as ECMAScript Language.

<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/>

This newsgroup is obviously understood by many posters as a forum for
discussing JavaScript 1.0, and ECMAScript implementations, including
also Netscape JavaScript 1.1+, unless there is a more specialized forum
(such as for ActionScript used in Macromedia Flash). Your statement
reads as if ECMAScript would be but a different name for JavaScript;
it is not.

PointedEars