Trouble with Multi-threading

dan.rose

I am running PYTHON 2.7.3 and executing a PYTHON program that uses
multi-threading. I am running this on a 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 server
(Service Pack 1).

Three months ago, I was able to execute this program just fine. I ran the
program and opened Task Manager and verified that the program successfully
obtained all of the multiple threads it requested.

Now, when I go to run this same program (no changes to the program), I am
getting this message:

Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:24:47) [MSC v.1500 64 bit (AMD64)]
on win32
I look in Task Manager and I don't see any threads for PYTHON.

So, I am hoping that somebody in this forum could help me out.

What is it that I should look for or turn on to find out what is blocking
this program from creating the threads.

Daniel Rose
IT Technical Analyst, MSS Development
Parker Hannifin Corporation
(e-mail address removed)
216-896-3351

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation."

Roy Smith

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation."

Dan,

Pursuant to your legal notice, I hereby inform you that I received your
message in error. Unfortunately, I am unable to delete it from my
system since I do not control my ISP's news server (and Time Machine has
probably backed up a copy of the local temp file anyway). Please advise
on how I should proceed, so that I am fully in compliance with your
information confidentiality policy.

feedthetroll

Am Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013 17:21:32 UTC+1 schrieb (e-mail address removed):
"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation."

As the above clause demands I hereby inform you, that I am - presumably - not an intended recipient, because I am - as far as I know - not in any business with whatever Parker.
Nevertheless I am very sorry, but I am not able to delete the message. Neither from the usenet nor from Google-Groups.

Steven D'Aprano

Regretfully I am unable to delete the message from my Usenet provider's
servers.

However, in accordance with your request I have expunged the body of
your request so as to avoid disseminating it.

When did this forum become so intolerant of even the tiniest, most minor
breaches of old-school tech etiquette? Have we really got nothing better
to do than to go on the war path over such trivial issues? Out of five
followed by no fewer than four people playing "Stacks on the n00b" making
the same comment about being unable to delete the message. I'm sure all
four of you think you are ever such wits, but you're only half right.

Walter, you and I both know that such legal disclaimers are pointless and
unenforceable. But you are guilty of misrepresenting what it says, and
hence make yourself out to be a Grade A Dick. The disclaimer does not say
"Everybody who receives this message must delete it from servers they
don't control." That truly would display galactic-level stupidity. But it
doesn't say that.

As a subscriber to the mailing list and/or newsgroup which Dan's message
was sent to, you *are* an intended recipient. The disclaimer says that
those who are *not* intended recipients should delete it from THEIR
systems, not that those who *are* intended recipients should delete it
from systems belonging to OTHERS. Duh.

As programmers, we should be able to correctly interpret the boolean
logic in the disclaimer. Surely you know how to read, and interpret, a
set of plain English functional requirements?

- It doesn't say that the message "is" confidential, it says it *may* be,
which is a correct statement regardless of the actual confidentially of
the message.

- It doesn't demand that the message "must" be used only for certain
purposes, but only that it *should* be so used -- again, a statement of
intention which is correct.

- Lastly, it doesn't pretend to be able to compel the recipient into any
particular action, but merely *requests* that they not be a dick about
confidential or privileged emails which they receive by mistake. And even
thanks them in advance for their (presumed) cooperation.

We shouldn't be giving a newcomer to this group a hard time over
something which (1) he has little control over, (2) which isn't actually
factually incorrect in any way, and (3) in the grand scheme of things
isn't that bad a breach of etiquette.

I'm really getting cheesed off at the intolerance and nastiness being
displayed on this list. I'm not aiming this specifically at you, Walter,
you're not even close to one of the worst culprits. This isn't
comp.lang.c, if you want a forum for arrogant elitists who look for any
petty excuse to bash newcomers, take it elsewhere. I've been a regular
here for over seven years, possibly longer, and the level of
unpleasantness is at an all-time high, and the level of usefulness is
lower than I've ever seen it before.

Steven D'Aprano

I am running PYTHON 2.7.3 and executing a PYTHON program that uses
multi-threading. I am running this on a 64-bit Windows 2008 R2 server
(Service Pack 1).

Hi Dan, and despite the emails from a few others, welcome. My further
comments below, interleaved with your questions.

Three months ago, I was able to execute this program just fine. I ran
the program and opened Task Manager and verified that the program
successfully obtained all of the multiple threads it requested.

Sounds great, but unfortunately you don't actually show us the program,
so there's very little we can say about it.

If possible, please show us the actual program. If not, please try to
show us a simplified version which still displays the fault. If you can't
do that, at least tell us what result you expect, and what result you
actually get.

Are you sure you're talking about multi-threading? Do you perhaps mean
multi-processing? I'm not a Windows user, but I would expect that only
independent processes show up in Task Manager, not threads within a
single process.

Now, when I go to run this same program (no changes to the program), I
am getting this message:

If nothing has changed with the program, it's unlikely that the behaviour
will have changed. Since the behaviour has changed, something must be
different. If not in the program itself, perhaps something in it's
environment.

Python 2.7.3 (default, Apr 10 2012, 23:24:47) [MSC v.1500 64 bit
(AMD64)] on win32
Type "copyright", "credits" or "license()" for more information.<multiprocessing.queues.Queue object at 0x00000000042309E8>

How are you running the program? If you are using IDLE, the first step
when you run into problems is to *not* use IDLE. Instead of running the
program through the interactive IDLE environment, I recommend you try
running it directly in Python via the command line and see if the error
persists. Do you know how to do this or do you need help?

Lastly, Dan, if you don't mind I'd like to make a couple of requests.
This forum is both an email mailing list and a text-only Usenet news
group, were so-called "Rich Text" (actually HTML) emails are frowned
upon. If you don't mind, please disable "Rich Text" when sending messages
to this group, as many people get annoyed having to deal with posts like
yours that include content like:

Also, if there's any way to drop the legal disclaimer when sending here,
that too would be appreciated.

Thanks for your cooperation, and feel free to ask any further questions,
hopefully you'll get a few more useful responses next time.

Regards,

Steve Simmons

When did this forum become so intolerant of even the tiniest, most
minor breaches of old-school tech etiquette?
[... Giant Snip...]

Well said Steven. I've only been member of this list for (maybe) a
year, mainly lurking to learn about Python and I also feel that the
balance between quality answers and sniping/arguing has definitely
tilted in the wrong direction. I'd very much like to see the original
mood restored.

SteveS

Roy Smith

Steven D'Aprano said:
When did this forum become so intolerant of even the tiniest, most minor
breaches of old-school tech etiquette? Have we really got nothing better
to do than to go on the war path over such trivial issues? Out of five
followed by no fewer than four people playing "Stacks on the n00b" making
the same comment about being unable to delete the message. I'm sure all
four of you think you are ever such wits, but you're only half right.

I believe I started off the chain of responses you're referring to. I
meant it semi-humorously, but also with a point. It is clear it turned
out to be harmful, and for that I apologize.

I share your dismay at where this group is going, and feel bad that I
inadvertently moved it further in that direction.

rusi

When did this forum become so intolerant of even the tiniest, most minor
breaches of old-school tech etiquette? Have we really got nothing better
to do than to go on the war path over such trivial issues? Out of five
followed by no fewer than four people playing "Stacks on the n00b" making
the same comment about being unable to delete the message. I'm sure all
four of you think you are ever such wits, but you're only half right.
[/QUOTE]
I believe I started off the chain of responses you're referring to. I
meant it semi-humorously, but also with a point. It is clear it turned
out to be harmful, and for that I apologize.

Sniping at someone -- especially a newcomer -- for a piece of technical
irrelevantia is unfortunate. However your semi-humorous pointing out
was good because it shows that all posting methods have their hiccups:

html mail
undesired and nonsensical footers
reply/reply-all mixups
repeated posts
long and double-spaced lines
others Ive missed

Reminds me that sometime ago when GG was habitually double-posting,
Steven started quadruple-posting, giving some of us a rare leg-pulling
opportunity :D
I share your dismay at where this group is going, and feel bad that I
inadvertently moved it further in that direction.

Unnecessary and uncalled for irascibility is of course a degradation.

But (from my pov) a bunch of people -- especially so-called techies --
unable to distinguish the following 3 is a much bigger degradation.

1 Problems caused by conscious malefic intent
2 Kids/noobs/ignoramuses/immature just being themselves
3 Problems of communication technology

Conflating 1,3 with 2 will drive many of them (2s) away which is a
significant loss for the community

Steven D'Aprano

I believe I started off the chain of responses you're referring to. I
meant it semi-humorously, but also with a point. It is clear it turned
out to be harmful, and for that I apologize.

I share your dismay at where this group is going, and feel bad that I
inadvertently moved it further in that direction.

Apology accepted. We're all only human. Except for 88888 Dihedral.