Trying to install module with CPAN

simon

Hi I've been trying for days to install the module MIME::Base64 with
CPAN but no matter how I try it never seems to work. I am on SUSE 9.1,
Perl is pre-installed: version 5.8.3. I am a total newbie when it comes
to perl but I have scanned the Internet for answers and now turn to
asking for help. Heres how it looks:

cpan> o conf
CPAN::Config options from /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/CPAN/Config.pm:
commit Commit changes to disk
defaults Reload defaults from disk
init Interactive setting of all options

build_cache 10
build_dir /root/.cpan/build
cache_metadata 1
cpan_home /root/.cpan
dontload_hash
ftp /usr/bin/ftp
ftp_proxy
getcwd cwd
gpg /usr/bin/gpg
gzip /usr/bin/gzip
histfile /root/.cpan/histfile
histsize 100
http_proxy
inactivity_timeout 0
index_expire 1
inhibit_startup_message 0
keep_source_where /root/.cpan/sources
lynx
make
make_arg
make_install_arg
makepl_arg
ncftp
ncftpget
no_proxy localhost
pager less
prerequisites_policy ask
scan_cache atstart
shell /bin/bash
tar /bin/tar
term_is_latin 1
unzip /usr/bin/unzip
urllist
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/
ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/lang/perl/CPAN/
wget /usr/bin/wget

cpan> o conf makepl_arg PREFIX=/root/.cpan
makepl_arg PREFIX=/root/.cpan

cpan> install MIME::Base64
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Sat, 04 Dec 2004 02:50:14 GMT
LWP not available
CPAN: Net::FTP loaded ok
Fetching with Net::FTP:
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/authors/01mailrc.txt.gz
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Database was generated on Sun, 05 Dec 2004 05:56:01 GMT
HTTP::Date not available
LWP not available
Fetching with Net::FTP:
ftp://ftp.du.se/pub/CPAN/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
Going to write /root/.cpan/Metadata
Running install for module MIME::Base64
Running make for G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
Checksum for
/root/.cpan/sources/authors/id/G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz ok
Scanning cache /root/.cpan/build for sizes
MIME-Base64-3.05/
MIME-Base64-3.05/t/
MIME-Base64-3.05/t/warn.t
MIME-Base64-3.05/t/bad-sv.t
MIME-Base64-3.05/t/unicode.t
MIME-Base64-3.05/t/quoted-print.t
MIME-Base64-3.05/t/base64.t
MIME-Base64-3.05/README
MIME-Base64-3.05/QuotedPrint.pm
MIME-Base64-3.05/MANIFEST
MIME-Base64-3.05/decode-qp
MIME-Base64-3.05/encode-base64
MIME-Base64-3.05/encode-qp
MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.pm
MIME-Base64-3.05/Changes
MIME-Base64-3.05/Makefile.PL
MIME-Base64-3.05/decode-base64
MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.xs
Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/MIME-Base64-3.05

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for MIME::Base64
-- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

cpan>

Jim Keenan

simon said:
Hi I've been trying for days to install the module MIME::Base64 with
CPAN but no matter how I try it never seems to work. I am on SUSE 9.1,
Perl is pre-installed: version 5.8.3. I am a total newbie when it comes
to perl but I have scanned the Internet for answers and now turn to
asking for help. Heres how it looks:

cpan> o conf
[snip]

cpan> install MIME::Base64 [snip]

MIME-Base64-3.05/Base64.xs
Removing previously used /root/.cpan/build/MIME-Base64-3.05

CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/MIME-Base64-3.05.tar.gz

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for MIME::Base64
-- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Let's test one possibility: MIME::Base64 uses C-code via file
Base64.xs. Hence, you need a working C compiler. Could there be
something wrong with our C compiler? (Try writing and compiling a
simple C program. Also, try installing from CPAN one other distribution
which has a .xs file and one which does *not*.)

jimk

simon hawkins

Jim said:
simon said:
[...]

Hi jimk

You hit the nail on the head! The C- compiler was....er...non existant!
I assumed it was already installed as part of the SUSE 9.1 std
configuration but alas...

Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated.

//Simon

Jim Keenan

simon said:
Hi jimk

You hit the nail on the head! The C- compiler was....er...non existant!
I assumed it was already installed as part of the SUSE 9.1 std
configuration but alas...

I'm not familiar with SUSE Linux, but, based on my experience with
RedHat, I would have made the same assumption.

OTOH, Mac OS X is based on BSD, but you have to install the Developer
Tools package yourself to get goodies like the C-compiler there. So
perhaps this is not so wierd as it seems at first.

jimk