Tutorials for Reorganizing Spreadsheet Data

josephlkremer

Hello, I'm a high school physics teacher and while I've played with Python enough to make a rock paper scissors program or animation of a bouncing ball (with air resistance!), I've never used it to work with data from a spreadsheet.

I have a large spreadsheet with a number of different student responses to a weekly prompt in various cells depending on which question they chose to answer. I'd like to organize these responses into something that make it easy for students to look back through their responses over time, and see howthey've changed.

This is obviously possible in Python, but I don't know where to begin learning the details of what I'll need to know to build it. Can anyone give me aspecific recommendation of tutorials where I might begin?

Thanks!

Joe

Joel Goldstick

Hello, I'm a high school physics teacher and while I've played with
Python enough to make a rock paper scissors program or animation of a
bouncing ball (with air resistance!), I've never used it to work with data
from a spreadsheet.
I have a large spreadsheet with a number of different student responses
to a weekly prompt in various cells depending on which question they chose
to answer. I'd like to organize these responses into something that make it
easy for students to look back through their responses over time, and see
how they've changed.
This is obviously possible in Python, but I don't know where to begin
learning the details of what I'll need to know to build it. Can anyone give
me a specific recommendation of tutorials where I might begin?
The package xlrd will read your Excel files

Terry Reedy

Hello, I'm a high school physics teacher and while I've played with Python enough to make a rock paper scissors program or animation of a bouncing ball (with air resistance!), I've never used it to work with data from a spreadsheet.

I have a large spreadsheet with a number of different student responses to a weekly prompt in various cells depending on which question they chose to answer. I'd like to organize these responses into something that make it easy for students to look back through their responses over time, and see how they've changed.

This is obviously possible in Python, but I don't know where to begin learning the details of what I'll need to know to build it. Can anyone give me a specific recommendation of tutorials where I might begin?

Is your spreadsheet actually on sheets (paper) or in a program? If the
latter, you should be about to output the data as a 'comma-separated
variable' (csv) file and read it in python with the csv module. If you
want to work with the data directly in the spreadsheet file, the details
depend on the OS and program.

CHIN Dihedral

Hello, I'm a high school physics teacher and while I've played with Python enough to make a rock paper scissors program or animation of a bouncing ball (with air resistance!), I've never used it to work with data from a spreadsheet.

I have a large spreadsheet with a number of different student responses to a weekly prompt in various cells depending on which question they chose to answer. I'd like to organize these responses into something that make it easy for students to look back through their responses over time, and see how they've changed.

This is obviously possible in Python, but I don't know where to begin learning the details of what I'll need to know to build it. Can anyone give mea specific recommendation of tutorials where I might begin?

Thanks!

Joe

Check the source code here:
http://manns.github.io/pyspread/ and