Typed vs Untyped datasets.....

Paul Aspinall

Can anyone offer opinions over when to user Typed Datasets, over untyped....

I know the VS IDE allows the use of typed datasets, by graphically
representing the connectivity. In order to use untyped, you need to code
everything yourself.....

In which cases is it appropriate to use each method??

Thanks

Alvin Bruney

One of the major advantages of type datasets is that referencing items in
the dataset is syntactically easier. Another one is, it is type safe, being
checked at design time.
If you don't care about these, use an untyped. There are many other
advantages as well i just highlighted two. See Daved Sceppas ADO.NET book
for the full scoup.

Paul Aspinall

Which do you use??

I like the advantages of the Types dataset, but prefer the style and control
given by the untyped (ie. code!)

Or an I missing something?

Cheers

Alvin Bruney

untyped all the way for me.

Paul Aspinall said:
Which do you use??

I like the advantages of the Types dataset, but prefer the style and control
given by the untyped (ie. code!)

Or an I missing something?

Cheers

sampsons

Paul,

I use typed datasets only in Widows Forms, not in Web Forms...

My Rule of thumb for typed vs. untyped.

If the dataset will be persisted in some fashion (i.e. Saved in Session,
Serialized to .xml) then I will use a typed dataset
If the dataset is throwaway (i.e. you have to rebuild the dataset each
posting) I use untyped.