ul/li menu problem, not stopping onmouseout

shard

Hi
I've got a menu thats made up of <ul> and <li>s' via some css and
javascript.
My problem is that I have a <ul> with some <li>s in it, when I move
between the <li>s
I get a mouseout event, as I would expect, but the event.toElement is
the document.body,
not the ul?
Actually its a bit worse because this menu is absolutely positioned
over the
page, under the menu is a hyperlink so a mouseout then fires on that.

I can't reproduce this outside of my large example so can't post
anything. But on the
other hand playing with borders, padding, etc doesn't seem to make a
difference.
It doesn't make a difference if the ul has a background color or not,
i.e. I can't actually see
the hyperlink anyway

Any ides on how to stop it? I've tried everything I can think of

ta

Jonathan N. Little

shard said:
[...]

Okay shard stop and think for the minute, you are sitting there in front
of your computer and all you code is clearly visible in front of you.
The key word here is *you* and not *us*. We cannot see you code without
a URL, so if you want any help, a URL please else all you will get is a WAG.

Neredbojias

Hi
I've got a menu thats made up of <ul> and <li>s' via some css and
javascript.
My problem is that I have a <ul> with some <li>s in it, when I move
between the <li>s
I get a mouseout event, as I would expect, but the event.toElement is
the document.body,
not the ul?
Actually its a bit worse because this menu is absolutely positioned
over the
page, under the menu is a hyperlink so a mouseout then fires on that.

This has been known to happen in the Australian Outback.
I can't reproduce this outside of my large example so can't post
anything. But on the
other hand playing with borders, padding, etc doesn't seem to make a
difference.

Yes, it does sound like a one-of-a-kind thingy.
It doesn't make a difference if the ul has a background color or not,
i.e. I can't actually see
the hyperlink anyway

Me neither.
Any ides on how to stop it? I've tried everything I can think of

Start over with brand new markup.

shard

Hi
I see your points, but I've seen posts in the past with vague topics
like "image flickers" which is a well known
problem with IE and is possible to reply to without more info, there
was a chance this was a similiar situation.
Unfortunately this is for an intranet site so I can't give a URL.
New markup sounds like the way to go given that I can't reproduce it
myself with a smaller example.
I love IE oddities.

ta

Andy Dingley

shard said:
My problem is that I have a <ul> with some <li>s in it, when I move
between the <li>s
I get a mouseout event, as I would expect, but the event.toElement is
the document.body, not the ul?

So what's the problem? What are you doing with a .toElement property
that requires it to be accurately located in a page element, or where
you can't just assume it explicitly.

I can't think of a use for .toElement that isn't tightly coupled to
notions of physical page layout (which it's probably accurate for). If
you're using it to reset some menu-related highlighting function then
you can assume it as the parent menu, you don't need to know where the
mouse actually ended up.

shard

Its a menu, when you move away from the menu for n milliseconds then
the menu disappears. As it happens when you move between the <LI>s then
you expect the menu to stay there but it disappears because the
mouseout says
your now on the page, not any part of the menu

"tightly coupled to notions of physical page layout" This statement
suggests theres knowledge I could benefit from given that I have no
idea what you mean by this. Coupling and abstraction I'm familiar with
as far as C++/C#/etc goes but DHTML has been something where I've had
to pick up bits of knowledge here and there so there will be huge gaps
in my knowledge. (A DHTML reading list that covers IE odditys would be
nice)

Neredbojias

Hi
I see your points, but I've seen posts in the past with vague topics
like "image flickers" which is a well known
problem with IE and is possible to reply to without more info, there
was a chance this was a similiar situation.
Unfortunately this is for an intranet site so I can't give a URL.
New markup sounds like the way to go given that I can't reproduce it
myself with a smaller example.

Well, I was being a smartass (somewhat), but here is part of a post I saw a
day or so ago that sums it up pretty well:

"All the technical groups I have read over time insist on minimal test
cases and this is for 2 reasons I know of:

1) The process of creating the test case very often leads to the
OPs seeing and fixing the problem for themselves without the need
for any more help.

2) It is easy to diagnose problems when there are no lines of code which
aren't relevant to the problem. Posting complete files requires
investigators to understand the whole system to know what is relevant and
what is not, and it leaves the job of creating the test case to the
investigators, which is not a fair division of labour :p"

I really believe the prob could be easily solved with more info.
I love IE oddities.

MS used to but I think they're slowly changing their collective mind.

dorayme

This has been known to happen in the Australian Outback.

I am not altogether comfortable with your knowing references to
Australia. I have asked Officer Bud White to address this issue
in his preamble to the treatment he will deliver. He may be a tad
blunt like "Mate, lay off the wide brown land, ok?"

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, dorayme
I am not altogether comfortable with your knowing references to
Australia. I have asked Officer Bud White to address this issue
in his preamble to the treatment he will deliver. He may be a tad
blunt like "Mate, lay off the wide brown land, ok?"

I saw "War of the Worlds" the other evening so your reference to a wide
brown land is rather appulse.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, dorayme

I saw "War of the Worlds" the other evening so your reference to a wide
brown land is rather appulse.

I saw the other (not Tom Cruise) recent WotW last week. It's probably
th worst film I've ever seen (and three hours long), because most of its
badness isn't even funny, as with, say, "Plan Nine From Outer Space".

Usenet

If you'd'a said it might be an ie thing that might have helped.

Have you looked at the Suckerfish examples? They give the javascript
code that fixes the bug in IE that makes the hover not work. Would
that be it?

Regards
Mark Stanton
One small step for mankind...

Neredbojias

I saw the other (not Tom Cruise) recent WotW last week. It's probably
th worst film I've ever seen (and three hours long), because most of its
badness isn't even funny, as with, say, "Plan Nine From Outer Space".

Hmm, I'm not familiar with another "recent" WotW. Who's in it? You don't
mean the one from the '50s with Bat Masterson, do you?

Btw, did you know that they once voted 'Plan Nine...' the worst movie of
all time?

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
Neredbojias said:
Btw, did you know that they once voted 'Plan Nine [from Outer
Space]...' the worst movie of all time?

You haven't seen this one yet:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0307109/

It is intentionally made to be bad ... so bad it is really funny.

Okay, next time I'm browsing at the video/dvd place, I'll look. Much to my
own surprise, I did like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" (-sort of).

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
Nobody I've ever heard of.

Doesn't look too good - 3(/10)-star rating. I have heard of C. Thomas
Howell but can't place his face or any of his films. The Tom Cruise one
was better than I expected (-I don't expect much from new flicks anymore)
but could have been considerably better with more care. 2 1/2 stars.
Perhaps it's just me, but I wouldn't consider that one recent. :)

No, but I was afraid you meant that one. I think that's the best of the
bunch although the acting is a bit soupy. T.C. did a good job in the new
one.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

Doesn't look too good - 3(/10)-star rating. I have heard of C. Thomas
Howell but can't place his face or any of his films. The Tom Cruise one
was better than I expected (-I don't expect much from new flicks anymore)
but could have been considerably better with more care. 2 1/2 stars.

No, but I was afraid you meant that one. I think that's the best of the
bunch although the acting is a bit soupy. T.C. did a good job in the new
one.

The buddy I watched the bad one with (DVD on his big-screen) has the
1953 version, too -- that's up next, when I go over to his place again.
:)

Neredbojias

To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark
The buddy I watched the bad one with (DVD on his big-screen) has the
1953 version, too -- that's up next, when I go over to his place
again.
:)

The script's a bit dated, but for its time, the effects and general
craftsmanship of the film were excellent. There's some real suspense there
(-and some not...) If you never saw it before, hope you like it.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
To further the education of mankind, Blinky the Shark

The script's a bit dated, but for its time, the effects and general
craftsmanship of the film were excellent. There's some real suspense
there (-and some not...) If you never saw it before, hope you like
it.

I'll share something embarrassing. I've known the plot of WotW since
what -- probably junior high. Maybe 12 years old. That would be 1959.
But while I was watching the horrible recent production the other day, I
swear I'd forgot what killed the aliens and had no idea how they'd be
stopped - or even *if* they'd be stopped - until they all "died". D'oh!

Meanwhile, for anyone who loves Plan Nine: check out Robot Monster;
let's just say the heavy is an alien that lands on earth alone (unseen)
and is discovered hiding out in a cave, wearing a gorrilla suit topped
by an old brass diver's hard mask and communicting back to wherever The
Evil Boss Alien is on a radion that, to show you that it's really on the
air, emits clouds of soap bubbles. This one, like Plan Nine, is not to
be missed. Oh, and yeah, there's no sign that the "robot monster" is
a robot, either. :)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Neredbojias said:
Btw, did you know that they once voted 'Plan Nine [from Outer
Space]...' the worst movie of all time?

You haven't seen this one yet:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0307109/

It is intentionally made to be bad ... so bad it is really funny.

Okay, next time I'm browsing at the video/dvd place, I'll look. Much
to my own surprise, I did like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" (-sort
of).

Yeah, AotKT is another good one. A former co-worker of mine was an extra
in that one; he's in one of the street scenes for about 20 seconds. <g>