ul li styling

richard

<ul>
<li>sample</li>
<li>what?</li>
</ul>

In list 2 I show the CSS as display:inline-block; to keep the three items
showing as I want.

Now what's the trick for styling all 3 items to have a background and
border the same height? Height and width don't seem to do anything.
Padding works. But I want all 3 the same height and width.

richard

<ul>
<li>sample</li>
<li>what?</li>
</ul>

In list 2 I show the CSS as display:inline-block; to keep the three items
showing as I want.

Now what's the trick for styling all 3 items to have a background and
border the same height? Height and width don't seem to do anything.
Padding works. But I want all 3 the same height and width.

<head>
<title></title>
charset=windows-1252">

ul { list-style-type:none; margin:0; padding:0; }
ul li { display:inline; }
.Aname, .Cname { background:#CCFFFF; width:300px; padding:10px; }
.Bname { display:inline-block; background:#F8FAAB; padding:10px; }

</head>

<ul>
<li class="Aname">Sample</li>
<li class="Cname">something</li>
</ul>

richard

<ul>
<li>sample</li>
<li>what?</li>
</ul>

In list 2 I show the CSS as display:inline-block; to keep the three items
showing as I want.

Now what's the trick for styling all 3 items to have a background and
border the same height? Height and width don't seem to do anything.
Padding works. But I want all 3 the same height and width.

Once again, figured it out. Removed the inline-block and changed to
float:left for all 3. Works as desired.

dorayme

richard said:
ul { list-style-type:none; margin:0; padding:0; }
ul li { display:inline; }
.Aname, .Cname { background:#CCFFFF; width:300px; padding:10px; }
.Bname { display:inline-block; background:#F8FAAB; padding:10px; }

<ul>
<li class="Aname">Sample</li>
<li class="Cname">something</li>
</ul>

and in later post:

"Once again, figured it out. Removed the inline-block and changed
to float:left for all 3. Works as desired."

Like

ul { list-style-type:none; margin:0; padding:0; }
li { float: left; padding:10px; height: 3em;}
..Aname, .Cname {color: #000; background:#CCFFFF; }
..Bname {color: #000; background:#F8FAAB; }

?

Your Bname content is semantically suggestive of a further list
within. I guess you could:

ul {list-style: none; margin: 0; padding: 0;}
li { float: left; height: 4em; padding: 10px;}
..main ul li {float: none; height: auto; padding: 0;}
..Aname, .Cname {color: #000; background:#CCFFFF; }
..Bname {color: #000; background:#F8FAAB; }

<ul class="main">
<li class="Aname">Sample</li>
<li class="Bname">
<ul>
<li>Item one</li>
<li>Item two</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li class="Cname">something</li>
</ul>

richard

and in later post:

[...]

Quit reading into what is not there.
Are you assuming that all 3 <li> MUST be exactly equal?
Since when?
I can only have one <li> per <ul>? Since when?

Doug Miller

Once again, figured it out. Removed the inline-block and changed to
float:left for all 3. Works as desired.

That's at least the third time in as many days. Next time, spend more than ten
seconds thinking before you post.

Doug Miller

Quit reading into what is not there.
Are you assuming that all 3 <li> MUST be exactly equal?
Since when?
I can only have one <li> per <ul>? Since when?[/QUOTE]

You know, most people, when they want help from someone else, don't take a
truculent and argumentative approach toward the helpers. That might explain
why most people who come here get more help than you do.

JJ

richard said:
<ul>
<li>sample</li>
<li>what?</li>
</ul>

In list 2 I show the CSS as display:inline-block; to keep the three items
showing as I want.

Now what's the trick for styling all 3 items to have a background and
border the same height? Height and width don't seem to do anything.
Padding works. But I want all 3 the same height and width.

What if a user comes along who has beefed up their browser's font size
above the default? Text above a certain size will spill out of any
element with a fixed height, unless you use overflow: hidden or some
sort of image replacement.

dorayme

JJ said:
What if a user comes along who has beefed up their browser's font size
above the default? Text above a certain size will spill out of any
element with a fixed height, unless you use overflow: hidden or some
sort of image replacement.

The contribution of the word "fixed" is all yours. Richard is far
too experienced to fall for this one. If you read the thread
carefully, there are a couple of suggestions from a visitor to
your earth.

richard

What if a user comes along who has beefed up their browser's font size
above the default? Text above a certain size will spill out of any
element with a fixed height, unless you use overflow: hidden or some
sort of image replacement.

Not my problem. I try to design my pages so that doesn't happen.
Most modern browsers allow the user to change the font size if need be.
So if text falls outside of the intended block, the user merely changes the
text size to fit.
Hell, I can have 100pt text in a 10x10pixel block and you'll never read it.
Then again, turn off your damned styles and forget about the formatting.

richard

The contribution of the word "fixed" is all yours. Richard is far
too experienced to fall for this one. If you read the thread
carefully, there are a couple of suggestions from a visitor to
your earth.

Thank you dear. And from which "earth" are you?

dorayme

So what is your answer to my question? Is this what you did? Or
something else?

Quit reading into what is not there.

What is "there" and what is "not there" is the question. It is a
sort of family member of the more famous "To be or not to be"

Are you assuming that all 3 <li> MUST be exactly equal?

I assumed from your "Now what's the trick for styling all 3 items
to have a background and border the same height?" that you were
hankering for some sort of equality. Silly me thought you wanted
the background at least the same height.
Since when?

Since I read your initial words I guess.
I can only have one <li> per <ul>? Since when?

You can have as many as you like, what have I said to suggest
otherwise?