unable to start debugging on the web server

ian

A few weeks ago I was able to run remote debugging from my local
machine (VS 2005 XP sp2) but now I get the following message:

unable to start debugging on the web server. logon failure: unknown
user name or bad password

I logged on to a neighbors computer and I can debug from his so the
server should be OK right? The web server is running Server 2003
sp1. I even tried disabling the loopback check in the registry
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896861) of both machines and I
still have the problem when running remote debuggin from my computer.

Like I said I have been running remote debugger for many months
without problems and now this.

Any advice?
Thanks

Guest

A few weeks ago I was able to run remote debugging from my local
machine (VS 2005 XP sp2) but now I get the following message:

unable to start debugging on the web server. logon failure: unknown
user name or bad password

I logged on to a neighbors computer and I can debug from his so the
server should be OK right? The web server is running Server 2003
sp1. I even tried disabling the loopback check in the registry
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896861) of both machines and I
still have the problem when running remote debuggin from my computer.

Like I said I have been running remote debugger for many months
without problems and now this.

Any advice?
Thanks

Not sure, maybe this post can help
http://blogs.dotnetgerman.com/alexonasp.net/PermaLink,guid,508e1c97-612d-489a-98f7-1fdf75fc2fb0.aspx

ian

A few weeks ago I was able to run remote debugging from my local
machine (VS 2005 XP sp2) but now I get the following message:

unable to start debugging on the web server. logon failure: unknown
user name or bad password

I logged on to a neighbors computer and I can debug from his so the
server should be OK right? The web server is running Server 2003
sp1. I even tried disabling the loopback check in the registry
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=896861) of both machines and I
still have the problem when running remote debuggin from my computer.

Like I said I have been running remote debugger for many months
without problems and now this.

Any advice?
Thanks

The server is fine.

I ended up renaming my profile folder in Documents and Settings to
something else, restarted my computer, logged on and after my new
profile was created I was able to open the existing web project and
start debugging again. I'm not sure it its related but about a week
ago I had to change my Active Directory password at work so is there a
registry settiing that I should have looked at before doing all this
to my profile?

Guest

The server is fine.

I ended up renaming my profile folder in Documents and Settings to
something else, restarted my computer, logged on and after my new
profile was created I was able to open the existing web project and
start debugging again. I'm not sure it its related but about a week
ago I had to change my Active Directory password at work so is there a
registry settiing that I should have looked at before doing all this
to my profile?- Hide quoted text -

That's strange. There is a folder, named VSWebCache, which can cause
trouble sometimes. Maybe it was the reason (?)

ian

That's strange. There is a folder, named VSWebCache, which can cause
trouble sometimes. Maybe it was the reason (?)- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the suggestion Alexey. There is another guy here who is
having the same problem I did with the "unable to start debugging on
the web server. logon failure: unknown user name or bad password" when
he tries the remote debugging. We deleted the VSWebCache folder but
he still gets the error. For me the only thing that worked was
deleting my profile.

Thanks