Unauthorized Error Calling Web Service

Francois Guerin

I have an application calling a web service on a different machine. The
application code runs under a local user account on the application server.
The account (identical username/password) is created on the web service
server. The web service uses Windows integrated security and ACLs are set on
the web service to allow the remote application to use it.

The problem is that everytime IIS' is recycled, I get an "unauthorized"
error on the FIRST call to the web service. Subsequent calls are fine. There
seems to be some type of retry process as I get the error first, and then the
data. The IIS log sample below shows that, with two 401 error codes and one
200 code. These three lines are ONE call to the web service from an
application point of view. I actually have two different web services that
behaves identically. Here's a sample of the IIS log:

2004-08-17 09:59:35 XXX.XX.XX.XXX POST
/AppCommonWebS/Classes/clsAPP_EmployeesWebS.asmx - 80 - XXX.XX.XX.XX
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+1.1.4322.573) 401 2 2148074254
2004-08-17 09:59:35 XXX.XX.XX.XXX POST
/AppCommonWebS/Classes/clsAPP_EmployeesWebS.asmx - 80 - XXX.XX.XX.XX
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+1.1.4322.573) 401 1 0
2004-08-17 09:59:35 XXX.XX.XX.XXX POST
/AppCommonWebS/Classes/clsAPP_EmployeesWebS.asmx - 80 PC12\APPUSER
XXX.XX.XX.XX
Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+6.0;+MS+Web+Services+Client+Protocol+1.1.4322.573) 200 0 0