Understanding mxODBC Insert Error

Greg Corradini

Hello,
I'm trying to perform a simple insert statement into a table called
Parcel_Test (see code below). Yet, I get an error message that I've never
seen before (see traceback below). I've tried to put a semicolon at the end
of the sql statement, but with no luck. Any ideas from more experienced
mx.ODBC users?

CODE
TRACEBACK
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
crs.execute(sql)
ProgrammingError: ('37000', -3516, '[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
Driver] Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL statement.', 4612)

Harrie Geerts

Greg Corradini said:
Hello,
I'm trying to perform a simple insert statement into a table called
Parcel_Test (see code below). Yet, I get an error message that I've never
seen before (see traceback below). I've tried to put a semicolon at the
end
of the sql statement, but with no luck. Any ideas from more experienced
mx.ODBC users?

CODE
TRACEBACK
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
crs.execute(sql)
ProgrammingError: ('37000', -3516, '[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
Driver] Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL statement.', 4612)

John Machin

Hello,
I'm trying to perform a simple insert statement into a table called
Parcel_Test (see code below). Yet, I get an error message that I've never
seen before (see traceback below). I've tried to put a semicolon at the end
of the sql statement, but with no luck. Any ideas from more experienced
mx.ODBC users?

You tried to put a semicolon at the end of the SQL statement, but you
failed? Luck?? I would have thought it needed only steady hands and a
minimally functional text editor.

Are you sure that that is exactly what you ran? I'm not familiar with
"pyshell", but I'd expect an error message (SyntaxError: EOL while
scanning single-quoted string) on the line that starts with "sql =".

At this stage do this to see exactly what you've got:
print repr(sql)
Maybe this pyshell gadget is trying to do statment continuation and
failing.
TRACEBACK
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
crs.execute(sql)
ProgrammingError: ('37000', -3516, '[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
Driver] Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL statement.', 4612)

Suggestions: Type your code snippet into a text editor. Get whatever
help you need with the semicolon. Save the snippet to a .py file. Run
the .py file from your operating system's command line (not from
"pyshell"). Show us the full traceback and the contents of your .py
file. It might also help to mention what OS, what version of Python,
and what version of mxODBC.

HTH
John

Jon Clements

Hello,
I'm trying to perform a simple insert statement into a table called
Parcel_Test (see code below). Yet, I get an error message that I've never
seen before (see traceback below). I've tried to put a semicolon at the end
of the sql statement, but with no luck. Any ideas from more experienced
mx.ODBC users?

CODE

TRACEBACK
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in ?
crs.execute(sql)
ProgrammingError: ('37000', -3516, '[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access
Driver] Missing semicolon (;) at end of SQL statement.', 4612)

Apart from what John Machin has said, your SQL also looks like it's
half trying to be an insert with a subselect clause (looking at the
'where') rather than a values clause. Access might well be expecting a
semicolon after the values statement, as the where might be starting
another. Don't have mxODBC, so it's all untested - Just an idea.

Jon.

Dennis Lee Bieber

ONE: Try triple-quoting that string, since it is being split over
multiple lines.

TWO: INSERT statements do NOT take WHERE clauses... INSERT means just
that -- insert a new record. Could it be you want an UPDATE?

sql = """update Parcel_Test set
near_fid = 0.0,
near_dist = 0.0
where pin_id = '042822120008'; """